Iphone misses calls...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psychotropic, May 16, 2010.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

I have been a proud owner of the iphone for a little over two year, however I am experiencing an issue that has become annoying and frustrating. I decided to write this post to see if anyone else has had or is having the same problem.

When a call comes into my iphone, it intermittently will go straight to voicemail. The phone will neither vibrate nor ring, and about twenty minutes later I will receive a voicemail notification. This problem has become more and more frequent.

To provide some answers I assume will come up, the phone is turned on when this happens and was not being used to check email or anything else. Basically the phone will be sitting on the table or on the couch next to me and this will occur. I have replaced the SIM card, received a replacement 3GS iphone, and have completely restored the phone to it's original state. I have also tried numerous steps from AT&T's tech support group, including the tech sending numerous updates to my phone and turning off the 3G access since I live in an Edge area.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or have any possible solutions?

Thanks,

2. thetexan macrumors 6502a

If you live in an EDGE only area, that's probably the problem. Anytime your phone is doing anything data related, if someone calls you while the data is active the call will be routed straight to voicemail. Your phone could be downloading an email or checking in with Apple's push server at the same moment somebody calls you.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have had this a few times and I found turning off the phone stopped it for awhile when I find it happening.

4. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your thoughts. However, this problem occurs most often when I am at home which means that my iphone is connected to my home wifi and not using the EDGE network.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Wait... when on EDGE phone calls can't come in?

I've had many times in the past I was on the web on my original iPhone (not on wi-fi) and it would start ringing.... maybe the page was done loading and I was just reading a page in Safari.

I do know if your in a call on EDGE that you can't get data, but I was under the impression that if a call came in during a data session, that the data would be terminated immediately for the phone call.

6. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I didn't explain very well. This problem occurs when I am in my house and my phone is connected to wifi. I assume that when my phone is not in use that it remains connected to the wifi, so I don't see how it can be a problem with the EDGE network. One of the techs told me to go into the options and turn of the 3g access and explained that the phone maybe trying to connect to a better connection than EDGE and is unable to do so. Even in turning the 3g access off, calls may or may not register on my phone.

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Before 4.0, the iPhone cannot use 'constant WiFi'. Its a new feature in 4.0. So if you leave it idle, it will default back to using Edge (or 3G when applicable) for checking mail, getting push notifications, etc.

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

You can you tell which network you’re connected to by dialing *3001#12345#* and tapping Call to bring up the Field Test Mode. From there select GPRS Information and find the entry for nom. A 1 in this field indicates a NOM1 network connection a 2 indicates a NOM2 network connection.

If you are in a NOM2 area, your phone will not get calls during an active EDGE data session. Callers who call you when the data is transmitting will be sent straight to voicemail. If you are in a NOM1 area then data will be paused to allow the call in. My understanding is most AT&T markets are NOM2 not allowing calls to come into the phone while on EDGE.