Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

underthesun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Will this annoy apple? I mean, one can make an mmorpg game and give it away for free in the app store, but require $3 a month to play. And then apple will get no $$$, in contrast to the 30% app store share if payment is done through the app store. Is there any existing apps that does this?

Reason I'm asking is that I plan to eventually make an mmorpg on it.. someday far away, but hey anyone can dream :cool:

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
But the service was already around, it isn't based on the iphone app. But if apple doesn't approve it, just make it a $0.99 app so that they get their $0.30. That should do it :)

treysik

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
I wish there was a nice MMORPG for the iPhone. Unless I am overlooking it? If there, please, direct me to it.

I played EVE and they have an app to monitor your EVE Character progression. I didnt have the iPhone then, but used the same app on my Blackberry.

Anyways. please let me know if there is a good MMORPG for the iPhone.

plamzi

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Many have tried. But I'm not giving away any cigars yet. I think the main problem is some want to stuff WoW inside the small screen, and others just build interactive websites that take away the real-time element.

I've been working on building a graphic MUD client that can do the best of both worlds. Here's a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvcNLI2_04

Comments/feedback welcome.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I thought I read somewhere that apps are free apps are prohibited from in-app purchases? (with ATT being the exception of course).

Bradullio

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
I wish there was a nice MMORPG for the iPhone. Unless I am overlooking it? If there, please, direct me to it.

I played EVE and they have an app to monitor your EVE Character progression. I didnt have the iPhone then, but used the same app on my Blackberry.

Anyways. please let me know if there is a good MMORPG for the iPhone.

As far as I know, CipSoft are porting their java / symbian MMORPG TibiaME to the iPhone as well. That would be a real live-MMORPG, then (no website round-based mmo stuff). Quite cute 2d zelda / Final Fantasy style.
Dunno when they will be done, they're not advertising it, but the developers wrote that in their forum.
If that's true, then I'm very excited!

Cheers!

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I thought I read somewhere that apps are free apps are prohibited from in-app purchases? (with ATT being the exception of course).

that's what I thought as well when in-app purchases were first announced for os 3.0...

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Will this annoy apple? I mean, one can make an mmorpg game and give it away for free in the app store, but require $3 a month to play. And then apple will get no $$$, in contrast to the 30% app store share if payment is done through the app store. Is there any existing apps that does this?

Reason I'm asking is that I plan to eventually make an mmorpg on it.. someday far away, but hey anyone can dream :cool:

In app purchases are allowed. I'd suggest the iPad rather than the iPhone. Use gestures for combat and have a good isometric overview mode.

galana

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Now that in-app purchases are built into the iphone platform Apple will be able to get a cut of any subscriptions, so MMO's will get a chance to implement proper subscription models and Apple will still get their cut.

There is a full 3D persistent world MMO coming out which is going to be free but also have an optional subsciption model, similar to the way runescape works on the web, theres a few pics and a video on the link below.

Highland Warrior iPhone MMORPG

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Now that in-app purchases are built into the iphone platform Apple will be able to get a cut of any subscriptions, so MMO's will get a chance to implement proper subscription models and Apple will still get their cut.

There is a full 3D persistent world MMO coming out which is going to be free but also have an optional subsciption model, similar to the way runescape works on the web, theres a few pics and a video on the link below.

Highland Warrior iPhone MMORPG

I think that is a good model. There is a browser-based online strategy-RPG-ish called Might & Magic Heroes Kingdom. They are (from Ubisoft) a freemium service with a free iPad app (UK only at this point ... had to set up a separate account to get it ...) And it works pretty well.

naleksiev

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
I think Parallels does the same. Free iDevice app but to connect to another machine you have to purchase the PC/Mac version for $60-70.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.