iPhone - MMS - Cost

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Azmontana, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Azmontana macrumors regular

Azmontana

I was wondering since 3.0 will introduce mms, will we need to pay to send mms or will it be part of the o2 contract, or does it count as two text messages or something. Asking as I have 500 free text a month and don't wanna have to pay to send mms messages.

Thanks

2. The General macrumors 601

Nobody knows yet unless they own a time machine. My time machine in on the fritz, I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow.

3. Azmontana thread starter macrumors regular

Azmontana

Why is this forum full of so many c0cks!!

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Because it's full of Apple enthusiasts? *ducks*

:D

5. The General macrumors 601

Would you have preferred I just make up prices? That info hasn't been released yet, what did you expect as an answer? I was just messing around with the time machine thing. Calm down. :cool:

6. Azmontana thread starter macrumors regular

Azmontana

Well if you don't know just say so, I figured you were messing around but considering I don't know you, you come off sounding like a smart arse!

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

All you have to do is wait until June 8th. Come on now, you know we don't know details about stuff like that yet, if we did, it'll be ALL over the internet right now. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but really, we don't know confirmed details about the new iPhone at all.

8. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Googling about..
    It looks like sending an MMS costs 25p on contract and 35p on PAYG.
    MMS messages are not included as part of your free SMS allowance.

That's not official.

But if that's true, it is a very strong case for sending emails if at all possible.

C.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I love how its assumed by SO many people that MacRumors members have all the inside info. Its flattering actually.

And with AT&T, as far as I can remember, MMS is included with SMS packages, along with free 'messenger' use (AIM, MSN, etc if your phone supports it).

10. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Because it's the internet.

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Geez, get over it. He was just having a little fun. He did not even make fun of the OP.

12. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    I believe that MMS is included in the unlimited texting/messaging plan, however, don't quote me on that.

Edit: For ATT that is.

13. bobpage87 macrumors newbie

O2's terms and conditions (http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffSmallPrint#Pay_Monthly) state:

# Inclusive messages on O2 Pay Monthly tariffs can be used for:

* texts sent in the UK to UK mobiles,
    * texts sent from abroad (including Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Mann),
    * picture or video messages sent from the UK and abroad (subject to having a compatible handset).

For inclusive messages sending one UK text uses one message. Except for customers who have an "Unlimited Bolt On", sending one text message from abroad uses four messages, and sending one picture or video message from the UK or abroad uses four messages.

Once you have used all your inclusive allowances, any messages sent to UK mobiles will be charged at 11.7p per message and any picture messages or video messages sent to UK mobiles will be charged at 24.5p per message. Any text messages sent whilst abroad will be charged at standard roaming text rates.

So looks to me like each MMS will use 4 txts from your allowance, unless you have unlimited in which case it seems you'll have unlimited free MMS's too (within fair use)

14. Azmontana thread starter macrumors regular

Azmontana

Thanks

15. Ksg89 macrumors member

Thats pretty sweet tbh. I wasnt expecting O2 to charge more, but maybe a 2-3 message cut of your quota, but 1, thats awesome!

16. fratboy macrumors regular

MMS is included in EVERY messaging plan you WILL NOT have to pay extra PERIOD

17. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

iPhone MMS won't be any different than any other phone's MMS on your carrier. You just need to look up how your carrier handles MMS. It is probably included in your SMS package anyways.

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'll make sure to refer everyone back to you that is on a carrier that charges you extra for MMS. :D

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you just talking about AT&T, or are you making a definite statement for how each of the 100 other carriers around the world that some MacRumors members use will handle MMS?

20. bobpage87 macrumors newbie

Umm, as it says above, picture or video messages will use 4 messages from your quota...

21. johnsmclean macrumors member

I have sent an MMS message and it has appeared on my O2 account as "Total cost of media messages sent £0.00". I think it costs 10 SMS texts.

22. fratboy macrumors regular

do you know anything about ATT messaging plans?? obviously not with you making a baseless statement like you did and trying to be smart about it.

go to ATT and look up what their messaging plans include.. then Shut up

also my upstairs neighbor is the branch manager at ATT i think he knows what he is talking about when he told me it will be included

23. fratboy macrumors regular

ATT

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Calm down.

The iPhone is available all over the world on multiple carriers so your initial statement was obviously misleading.

25. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Do you know anything about this thread? Obviously not with you making a baseless statement like you did and trying to be smart about it.

By they way, the 3 or 4 posts above yours were talking about O2. No where in your post did you say anything about AT&T, you just made a broad statement for everyone on every carrier.