iPhone MMS Group Messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bohbot16, May 23, 2011.

1. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I just discovered the iOS 4 Group Messaging feature and was wondering what kind of limitations people have run into with it. Group Messaging is enabled in Settings->Messages and appears to be off by default.

I was testing it and was able to send a text-only MMS to 2 people (both have iPhones with this option enabled) and when each of them replied to the message we could each see everyone else's responses like a chat room. My previous experience with sending an SMS to multiple recipients (with the Group Messaging option off) would cause everyone to be in an individual conversation with only me, unaware that it was a group message. I have recently been using the Beluga app to accomplish group messaging, but it appears that I could just use the Group Messaging feature within the Messages app.

I've only tried this out with AT&T iPhones and was wondering what other phones it would work with. Pretty much everyone I text with has either an iPhone, Blackberry, or a quick messaging phone. Has anyone been able to use Group Messaging with any or these types of phones? What about Android phones? Is there a carrier dependency?

2. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

When I need to do a group message when all participants have a smartphone, I just use the facebook app. The notifications are a little inconsistent though

3. bohbot16 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Yeah, I've definitely tried that. Unfortunately my Facebook notifications stop working sometimes. Texts always get through. I tried to get the people who use quick messaging phones to turn on text forwarding from Facebook, but my description of the process went way over their heads. I have high hopes for the results of Facebook's acquisition of Beluga.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you rely on everyone getting push from the Facebook app forget it.
    If Im lucky I get like 10-20% of my Facebook notifications on the iphone.

5. bohbot16 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I tried to work around it by having Facebook automatically forward my messages as texts. Unfortunately those are just as reliable as their push notifications.

That's why 'm so interested in this MMS Group Messaging feature.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Not everyone uses Facebook.com....thankfully.

7. bohbot16 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Everyone that i need to send a message to uses text messaging. Have you tried the Group Messaging feature?