iPhone MMS w/o swapping phones AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by randyc, Aug 3, 2009.

1. randyc macrumors member

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, so don't shoot me if it has.

So I heard that 3.1 is when AT&T is going to finally support MMS and I also heard that some people are reporting MMS to be working on the 3.1 betas.

Last night I decided to just try the usual MMS hack but without switching sim cards and all that. Just installing the hacked carrier settings or whatever.

IT WORKED. I was able to send and receive pictures...for a little while. Then today it just stopped working out of nowhere.

I have a AT&T family plan with the family messaging plan too. Do you think AT&T just stopped it from working on my phone?

Just thought I'd share if anybody else wants to try.

2. The General macrumors 601

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. JUST WAIT UNTIL THEY TURN MMS ON.h

3. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Whoa calm down dude haha.
    Just thought it'd be interesting to see if it works so I tried it and thought other people would be interested and maybe want to try too. If you don't care for MMS why are you even reading this thread? :cool:

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

+1

People need to just chill and wait for the official support to kick in.

5. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Guess this was the wrong site to post this at hahaha
    Didn't realize you guys were so up-tight :eek:

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

We're not uptight.

We're annoyed with people trying to cheat the at&t system just because they're pissed that they don't have MMS. It's annoying, it's causing more trouble than good, and it's generally a waste of time because most people don't give a damn about MMS.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Problem is this has already been discussed in other threads (i.e., someone saw MMS work when they put OS 3.1 on their iPhone w/o swapping sim cards). I'm just too tired to go find it for you, since this comes up every single day. We don't know anything about when MMS is coming. You may have heard it's coming with OS 3.1, but that is just a rumor.

search on sim card mms 3.1

8. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

C'mon. GET A LIFE. This is one of the most hostile forums that I've ever seen.
    I have heard it said, 'If you can't say anything positive, don't say anything at all'. So, there you go, positive advice for everyone.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Was your comment directed at me?

10. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

No, comment in general. Yours was one of the positive.

11. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

Most of the hacks out there now to turn on MMS can cause other problems with the phone like Visual Voicemail not working, sure there are fixes and if you want to waste your time, Google a procedure to do it. But you can send MMS's via e-mail on your phone anyhow, and hacking your iPhone to send MMS won't enable it to GET MMS's from your buddies till ATT is ready, so what's the point, you know?

12. randyc thread starter macrumors member

That's my point. All I did was install the hacked AT&T carrier file and insert the MMS settings, nothing else, and it worked. I was sending and receiving pictures to and from my friends. I had no problems with it at all. Everything worked 100%, even Visual Voicemail, until it just stopped working today. I'm completely fine without MMS, I just use e-mail like you mentioned. I just thought maybe this would be interesting to some people so I thought I'd share it.

13. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

Did you do something interesting today? Pay a bill? Update your phone?

14. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Nahhh, none of those. I did go to class and then after I skated at a skatepark. That probably doesn't interest you much though so I didn't think I'd share it with you guys. ;)

15. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

hmm..

Scenario 1:
    Your constant motion on the GPS location system of the iPhone caused the ATT Skynet server to get very aggravated with you and this is only a precursor to a future attack on you and your family.

Scenario 2: **** happens, lol

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

The same thing happened to me. It worked for a day and then stopped... When this finally does OFFICIALLY happen it will be a beautiful thing.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I was going to post this as an OP, but saw another article got closed on the same issue. Anyway, more news about 3.1 and MMS. Don't shoot the messenger:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/atts_iphone_finally_getting_mms_via_iphone_os_31.php

The article:

18. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it will. Then I can stop explaining to my friends that they need to send pictures to my email instead of my phone number. It's such a pain 'cause most of them still don't understand. haha.

19. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

But surely this article is misleading? Anyone not in the good ol' USofA already has MMS in 3.0. There's no way Apple could have chosen to take it away from us in 3.1. As the article says, all AT&T has to do is switch it on. Whether they choose to do that on 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5.1 or whatever is up to AT&T, not up to the firmware release.

Understand, it works fine already on 3.0 and on 3.0.1. It's AT&T holding it up.

(PS Bet the hold up is that AT&T are working on software to really downscale the images and send them to you as really fuzzy 2Kb 64x48 images :D)

20. randyc thread starter macrumors member

LOL thats funny 'cause actually I did notice the quality of images seemed to be lower when received via MMS than they were when receiving them via e-mail. I sure hope thats not the case! :(