iPhone MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RossoA, Oct 22, 2007.

1. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Now I know that the iPhone doesn't have MMS, so what happens if you get a picture message?

2. projectle macrumors 6502

You get a text message with a URL.
    You enter that URL into your web browser and then you can view it online.

3. ~Phi macrumors regular

You get a text telling you that someone has sent you a multimedia message and to view that message you have to visit a web site and type in the provided random username and password to view the photo. It's pretty much a pain. :)

4. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Yeah, one of the dumbest things on the iPhone. The other, extremely limited bluetooth capability, like you can't sync with other bluetooth phones in your vicinity to send pictures. And those are some of the most basic functions on any current phones.

But I still love my iPhone.

5. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Yeah that always throws me off cuz its like "hey i just sent you a multimedia message! You can view it over at viewmymessage.com id number____...." im always like "wow you typed all that out?" then i remember.....

6. erandall38 macrumors 6502

A lot of people seem bummed out about not having MMS messages.

At first I was too.
    Then I realized I was bummed there was no video recorder.

Then I looked at my old phone and realized oh wait I have absolutly no picture messages and no videos taht I have ever done or recieved.

In fact the only pictures ever sent from my phone was a text message to an email adress for work... which is now simplified by the iPhone.

I understand different people have different needs.

But just curious how many of you can actually go back to your old phone and find these things? Not stepping on toes just seriously curious. Because I was upset at first too, until I realized oh wait I never use those features.

I think this is the case for some people... not all... but some

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Same here. I can only think of one instance ever that I needed to send or receive a picture through MMS. And as far as video recording, my last phone could do it but the quality was so bad I would never want to keep it for any reason. Like you said, everyone has different needs, but I'm not all that bummed that the iPhone doesn't have these features yet.

8. bmustaf macrumors regular

Yeah, you get an URL, but funny, it requires FLASH to display the message, so you cant view it on the iPhone.

9. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I don't understand the need for MMS. Sprint made users pay to get a picture so I didn't see the point.

I think the "kids" (in their 20s) like MMS???

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

You know the first cars ever made didnt have windows or doors, I'm sure glad the automakers dont have your lack of forward looking progress!

11. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

No need to excuse Apples lack of functionality. How come you can walk into 7-11 and buy a $49 phone and have MMS, but if you paid $599, you dont?

And its not just for kids. I used to use it all the time for sending pictures of part to customers and vendors all the time. MMS is a tool that can be used by all, but since Apple has decided you dont need it, you have to bash it as a kiddie toy. You must be an iSheep.

12. iguanarama macrumors member

'iSheep' is a bit harsh, all he was saying was that he didn't personally see the point of MMS. That's taking your sig too far. :)

But yeah, I think it's a notable omission; for example, MMS is quite established here in the UK. And given that the top buying segment of the iPhone is currently 20-30 year olds, it's probably something they could -- and should -- address in a future software update.

13. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Very much so. Then again, as I once said in an earlier thread, my 63 year old grandmother uses MMS on an almost daily basis. She takes pics and even short vids of family (especially her new grandchild) and sends them to other family members both here and abroad, and her friends/relatives do the same.

I don't have a huge use for it, but at the same time, I've lost count of how many times I've been somwhere and taken a pic thinking "Gosh, I'd LOVE to send this to some of my friends", only to realize I'd have to:
    A) remember which service provider they used
    B) go online and look up the necessary format to send the pic to them over email
    C) jot down their actual numbers from the contact listing
    D) compose the email writing all that crap in by hand.
    E) Send, and hope it works.

14. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

picture messages are overrated. who wants to view pictures of a freakin' tiny ass screen when you can just e-mail it to someone / yourself and be able to view it anywhere in the world...

16. sneeks macrumors 6502a

It's a huge feature to lack in the UK market, I send and receive several MMS each month. Are Apple likely to add support for this to UK handsets via a software update in the future?

17. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

mms would be great, but I really don't use it that often.

if I want to send a pic I use email.

on my old phone, I found myself just using it because I could rather than because I really needed to.

18. beeeen macrumors member

Pretty stupid there is no picture messaging. I don't use it that often, but it's nice to have that option. I don't mind the video option to much cause I don't use it to often either. Just makes me upset they left...out...picture messaging. :eek:

19. nerdeus macrumors member

I used MMS ALL the time. I had tons of photos and I constantly sent pix messages to my friends. I'm pretty sad that the iPhone doesn't have MMS myself. I think MMS is maybe more popular with the younger generation? sorry if I'm generalizing. It's just that all my friends use MMS. I get bunches of MMS still but it takes forever to view them.

I just hate how it's set up with the website and the password. The login and password is SOO hard to memorize. And there's no copy and paste feature on iPhone... so that just makes it the biggest pain ever to view the message.

And I actually tried emailing a photo to my verizon friends and it didn't work!
    It's phonenumber@vzwpix.com right?? I even tried @vtext.com, and that didn't work either!

20. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I actually find the send pic via email function very simple. If the person is in my address book I type the first few letters and thier email comes up. I took and sent a pic to my mom in less than 30seconds.

21. nerdeus macrumors member

Well, sending picture messages through email is of course easy. It's receiving picture messages that is the problem.

22. ne0star macrumors regular

This is a much bigger issue in the UK where MMS is very popular.

I actually wondered if this might be a surprise addition for the UK launch.

23. ascender macrumors 68000

Totally agree. I'm not sure why MMS gets such a hard time on these boards, but I use it a lot, as do most people I know in the UK.

24. RossoA thread starter macrumors 6502

RossoA

Well, thanks everyone. I never used to send pics by MMS, just email, just my girlfriend usually sends me picture messages through MMS when she's away. To be honest, this is no different to how I recieve pictures now as through Vodafone they make me go to getmyphoto.vodafone.com or similar.

So this is no more hassle than it was before :cool:

25. alFR macrumors 68020

To play Devil's advocate, surely the reason people use MMS is that up until pretty recently it's been impossible to send emails with photos attached from a 'phone? Isn't it a bit of a historical thing that will disappear as more 'phones and networks become better at doing email and data in general? After all, why MMS or SMS when you can email or IM for free?