Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Confirmed working on 2.2

One thing to note, when I change the song on the iPhone; my receiver doesn't always update its track info..

OneyOzFest182

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Hackers?

If anyone that's really good with this could create a Cydia package that installs a presigned, pre-edited version that would be great. I can't seem to get mine to work using HexEdit in Windows XP. :(

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
If anyone that's really good with this could create a Cydia package that installs a presigned, pre-edited version that would be great. I can't seem to get mine to work using HexEdit in Windows XP. :(

Send me an email and I'll send you the modified signed application.

spam_me_and_you_die [at] optimalconnection.net

[at] = @, and without the spaces.

OneyOzFest182

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008

Sent. :) And attached my original file. Thanks a lot. :D

UPDATE: Thansk to djcrazy I got it working on 2.1 now. :D

HolyMackerel

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Apologies to the technically minded but am I correct in assuming that there is no way to update the MobileMusicPlayer WITHOUT jail breaking the iPhone ?

I also hope to test the vw connector in my vehicle tomorrow with a different iPhone to determine if it is my phone or my connection that is causing the problems (re - wont charge the iPhone)

HMP

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Apologies to the technically minded but am I correct in assuming that there is no way to update the MobileMusicPlayer WITHOUT jail breaking the iPhone ?

I also hope to test the vw connector in my vehicle tomorrow with a different iPhone to determine if it is my phone or my connection that is causing the problems (re - wont charge the iPhone)

HMP

Your assumptions are correct, you will need to jailbreak.

and its most likely your connection causing the non-charging.

voucher1977

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
I've been trying to get this to work for.....forever lol
Carefully follow ElBrooklyn's steps and you'll be good. I have an iPhone 2.2. Thanks a million ElBrooklyn!:D
here are the steps again:
1. Pwn the phone. (I'd never done it before.)
2. Open Cydia installer and install Open SSH
3. Install Erica's Utilities with Cydia
4. In iPhone Settings, General turn Auto-Lock to Never (so the phone doesn't shut off and terminate the connection).
5. On my MacBook Pro, download and install Hex Edit for Mac. (This lets you rewrite the underlying code in the iPhone.)
6. On the MacBook, download and install Transmit (This lets you see the files on the phone. Much easier than Terminal unless you're used to using Linux commands.)
7. On my MacBook Pro, open Terminal and log into the iPhone. At the prompt, enter: ssh root@<ipaddress> (The phone's IP address is listed in Settings, Wi-fi. Just click the arrow on whichever network the phone is using. And don't put the carats in there -- just the address.)
8. Password: alpine (You'll want to change the password later.)
9. On the MacBook, open Transmit and Connect to the iPhone using SFTP mode. (Use the same root@<ipaddress> you used in Terminal. You'll see the file directory pop up in the browser.)
10. Switch the browser from "Root" to "/"
11. Click on MobileMusicPlayer.app folder.
12. Scroll down to the MobileMusicPlayer executable file.
13. Drag the MMP file into the MacBook's browser. (You may want to set to your desktop.)
14. Copy the MMP file. (So you can revert to it if things get screwy. It'll say MobileMusicPlayer Copy.)
15. On the MacBook, Open Hex Edit. In Options, check Overwrite mode.
16. In Hex Edit, Open MMP file from the desktop. (You are looking at THE CODE, baby!)
17. Do a Cmd-F search for _initializesplashscreen. (This is the string we're going to replace.)
18. There's the offending line. Move cursor to the first letter and type in the new string: _tearDownSplashScreen
18a. Because "tearDownSplashScreen" is two characters shorter than "initializeSplashScreen," you need to zero out the remaining spaces. Move over to the hex code (the numbers on the left), and put your cursor on the number that follows the code for "tearDownSplashScreen." The last "n" should be represented by "6E." You may have to toggle you last letter "n" with another letter so you can see the code change and find your place. In the two spaces after the "6E" enter 00 00. You should see two periods enter the text code so that it now reads _tearDownSplashScreen...
19. Save. Close file.
20. In Transmit, double-click the patched MMP file. (It'll ask if you want to replace the file on the phone. Yes.)
21. In Terminal, type: apt-get install ldid (This installs the ldid program.)
22. In Terminal, type: ldid -S /usr/bin/launch (I don't know what this does, but KlausE says to do it.)
23. In Terminal, type: ldid -S /Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/MobileMusicPlayer
24. You're done. Go out to the car and plug it in. You'll get the "this accessory is not designed for the iPhone" dialog. Ignore it. Now in iPod mode, you should get a black screen instead of the "Accessory attached" screen. Just turn off your head unit, wait a second, then turn it back on. The black screen of death should be gone. If that doesn't work, just unplug the phone and plug it back in again. Should be fine after that.
25. You may want to load Boss Prefs from Cydia. It allows you to turn off your SSH connection. Because if you haven't changed the password from "alpine," anybody on your Wi-Fi network could potentially hack into your phone. Unlikely, but could get really ugly if it you're the unlucky bum who winds up on a public network with a jerk.

jsenek

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but I just wanted to add a little tip.
If you use Fetch or some other app to transfer the MobileMusicPlayer file to your phone, double check that the transfer method is "HexBin" or equivalent. Some apps default to ASCII/Text, which is not the desired option.

Of course, I would _never_ make this mistake... ;)

somuchh8

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
works a treat - much more reliable than the previous method!

Thanks!! :)

This works for me, however randomly my iPhone pauses whatever I'm listening to and I have to go and hit "Play" again. Also if I double tap the Home button when the display is locked I don't get the iPod controls on the screen, it totally ignores that I'm trying to get to the iPod controls on the lock screen.

So I wish I could fix that problem as it's almost as annoying as the "Accessory Attached" message. It's like the software is trigging the iPhone to respond like it's in Accessory Mode but I still have access to the screen. I used the simple "hideSplashScreen" method. I couldn't get the teardownblahblah one to work at all, it wouldn't sign under iPhone 2.2. It was the right size and I followed all the guides but everytime I scp'd it to my iPhone and tried to sign it would fail with a /access type of error. When I replace "showSplashScreen" with "hideSplashScreen" or whatever it was from an earlier post it would sign and I never get the Accessory Attached message but still get random iPod pausing.

That's my experience with my '04 BMW iPod kit.

Requiemm

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me a bit.

I replaced my mobilemusicplayer app with an edited one and I no longer get the blank locked screen (Thanks djcraze)

My only remaining issue is the the iPhone will only act as a music player when connected to my car, not a video player. When I turn the phone on it's side, it goes into coverflow mode. If I stop the song playing and start a video I hear the video dialog, but only see the cover artwork for the video on my screen.

I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3g with 2.2 and an Alpine iDA-X100 headunit. Anyone have any ideas?

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
This works for me, however randomly my iPhone pauses whatever I'm listening to and I have to go and hit "Play" again. Also if I double tap the Home button when the display is locked I don't get the iPod controls on the screen, it totally ignores that I'm trying to get to the iPod controls on the lock screen.

So I wish I could fix that problem as it's almost as annoying as the "Accessory Attached" message. It's like the software is trigging the iPhone to respond like it's in Accessory Mode but I still have access to the screen. I used the simple "hideSplashScreen" method. I couldn't get the teardownblahblah one to work at all, it wouldn't sign under iPhone 2.2. It was the right size and I followed all the guides but everytime I scp'd it to my iPhone and tried to sign it would fail with a /access type of error. When I replace "showSplashScreen" with "hideSplashScreen" or whatever it was from an earlier post it would sign and I never get the Accessory Attached message but still get random iPod pausing.

That's my experience with my '04 BMW iPod kit.

There is a reason the "Accessory Attatched" screen exists, this is because each player controls the iPod/iPhone differently. For instance, my Alpine will only fully work if I use the on-screen controls to change the playlist; otherwise if I change the playlist on the actual iPhone, then my alpine will go back to track one when the previous playlist song count was reached. It keeps that information cached. For your BMW, maybe when you change the song it gets confused because the information in Cache doesn't match the information on your iPhone. There is no way around this, if I am correct of course.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if you might be able to help me a bit.

I replaced my mobilemusicplayer app with an edited one and I no longer get the blank locked screen (Thanks djcraze)

My only remaining issue is the the iPhone will only act as a music player when connected to my car, not a video player. When I turn the phone on it's side, it goes into coverflow mode. If I stop the song playing and start a video I hear the video dialog, but only see the cover artwork for the video on my screen.

I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3g with 2.2 and an Alpine iDA-X100 headunit. Anyone have any ideas?

This is weird, going to be honest here. I have no idea what could cause that. I have no problem watching video. Maybe when you connect your Alpine to your iPhone it sends it into music player only. I looked into some info.plists awhile back and saw there were three modes of functioning. I don't remember all the modes, but it was basically music player, video player, and iPod. Maybe if you change "music player" to iPod it will allow you to play video. The info.plist is inside of the mobilemusicplayer.app. Good luck.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008

The file I downloaded from him doesn't work on 2.2. I connected it to my Ford Edge, via the USB and iPod cable, and it comes up with that silly message. I put the iPod app in my current winterboard theme.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
The file I downloaded from him doesn't work on 2.2. I connected it to my Ford Edge, via the USB and iPod cable, and it comes up with that silly message. I put the iPod app in my current winterboard theme.

Your supposed to repalce the old iPod app with the new on inside of the folder /Applications/....?

somuchh8

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
There is a reason the "Accessory Attatched" screen exists, this is because each player controls the iPod/iPhone differently. For instance, my Alpine will only fully work if I use the on-screen controls to change the playlist; otherwise if I change the playlist on the actual iPhone, then my alpine will go back to track one when the previous playlist song count was reached. It keeps that information cached. For your BMW, maybe when you change the song it gets confused because the information in Cache doesn't match the information on your iPhone. There is no way around this, if I am correct of course.

I my issue is I need to figure out what else to "disable" in the MobileMusicApp. There's something else cuasing the track I'm listening to pause. And it's totally random. Some days I'll be driving home and while listening to music my iPhone wont pause but other times it may pause once, in a while, other times it's like every 3-4 seconds it'll pause itself. Really really annoying. I installed OrbLive on my PC at home ( and iPhone ) and I'm tempted to just use that instead of the iPod since that doesn't get paused by the car kit software. However, I don't like leaving my PC on all the time purely for power consumption reasons.

Does anyone know of another 3rd party or native iPhone app that will play the music on my iPhone? I want access to the music on my iPhone but without using iPod as the application.

Thanks, -Andy

WarBeast

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
I've been trying to get this to work for.....forever lol
Carefully follow ElBrooklyn's steps and you'll be good. I have an iPhone 2.2. Thanks a million ElBrooklyn!:D
here are the steps again:
1. Pwn the phone. (I'd never done it before.)
2. Open Cydia installer and install Open SSH
3. Install Erica's Utilities with Cydia
4. In iPhone Settings, General turn Auto-Lock to Never (so the phone doesn't shut off and terminate the connection).
5. On my MacBook Pro, download and install Hex Edit for Mac. (This lets you rewrite the underlying code in the iPhone.)
6. On the MacBook, download and install Transmit (This lets you see the files on the phone. Much easier than Terminal unless you're used to using Linux commands.)
7. On my MacBook Pro, open Terminal and log into the iPhone. At the prompt, enter: ssh root@<ipaddress> (The phone's IP address is listed in Settings, Wi-fi. Just click the arrow on whichever network the phone is using. And don't put the carats in there -- just the address.)
8. Password: alpine (You'll want to change the password later.)
9. On the MacBook, open Transmit and Connect to the iPhone using SFTP mode. (Use the same root@<ipaddress> you used in Terminal. You'll see the file directory pop up in the browser.)
10. Switch the browser from "Root" to "/"
11. Click on MobileMusicPlayer.app folder.
12. Scroll down to the MobileMusicPlayer executable file.
13. Drag the MMP file into the MacBook's browser. (You may want to set to your desktop.)
14. Copy the MMP file. (So you can revert to it if things get screwy. It'll say MobileMusicPlayer Copy.)
15. On the MacBook, Open Hex Edit. In Options, check Overwrite mode.
16. In Hex Edit, Open MMP file from the desktop. (You are looking at THE CODE, baby!)
17. Do a Cmd-F search for _initializesplashscreen. (This is the string we're going to replace.)
18. There's the offending line. Move cursor to the first letter and type in the new string: _tearDownSplashScreen
18a. Because "tearDownSplashScreen" is two characters shorter than "initializeSplashScreen," you need to zero out the remaining spaces. Move over to the hex code (the numbers on the left), and put your cursor on the number that follows the code for "tearDownSplashScreen." The last "n" should be represented by "6E." You may have to toggle you last letter "n" with another letter so you can see the code change and find your place. In the two spaces after the "6E" enter 00 00. You should see two periods enter the text code so that it now reads _tearDownSplashScreen...
19. Save. Close file.
20. In Transmit, double-click the patched MMP file. (It'll ask if you want to replace the file on the phone. Yes.)
21. In Terminal, type: apt-get install ldid (This installs the ldid program.)
22. In Terminal, type: ldid -S /usr/bin/launch (I don't know what this does, but KlausE says to do it.)
23. In Terminal, type: ldid -S /Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/MobileMusicPlayer
24. You're done. Go out to the car and plug it in. You'll get the "this accessory is not designed for the iPhone" dialog. Ignore it. Now in iPod mode, you should get a black screen instead of the "Accessory attached" screen. Just turn off your head unit, wait a second, then turn it back on. The black screen of death should be gone. If that doesn't work, just unplug the phone and plug it back in again. Should be fine after that.
25. You may want to load Boss Prefs from Cydia. It allows you to turn off your SSH connection. Because if you haven't changed the password from "alpine," anybody on your Wi-Fi network could potentially hack into your phone. Unlikely, but could get really ugly if it you're the unlucky bum who winds up on a public network with a jerk.

could you please upload your MobileMusicPlayer executable (for fw2.2) and send us a link?

kishkuman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Im interested in getting a copy too,
and would be good if one of the gurus could do it into an app.

Thanks

kishkuman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
I get as far as the HEX editing part.
is there a prefered hex editor for windows?
with the free one I tried when i search for _initializesplashscreen it does not find anything.

jreb13

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008

Sent you an email, hoping you might have the edited file for 2.2.1

jreb13

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Sadly no go for me with this method either.
Everything works as described (hold button and kicked back to home screen) but this only last for 2 seconds and then the accessory attached splash screen snaps back into place (no control or view of ipod on the iphone)

My 3 month old brand new factory installed VW adaptor DOES NOT re-charge/power my iphone.
This is in a brand new VW Golf.
$350 wasted on the adaptor... be warned it is a piece of crap and I am extremely disappointed with VW and the dealer !

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a solution to this but the issue (not sure if mentioned already) is that old iphone connector (2g) is firewire, new iphone 3g connector is usb, you have to just purchase a small item called a charge converter, there are several companies that make them like cablejive and griffin has one in the works, just google 3g charge converter and a bunch of results will come out. Bought one myself off of Amazon for like 30 bucks and fixed the charging problem. Didn't know about this till I upgraded to the 3g iphone.

cheffi

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
hmm, anyone tried this on 2.1.1?

I made the tearDown and resumeUI changes, the ldib stuff via terminal on my 3g and when i open the ipod app it crashes back to home...

EDIT: i replaced it with my backup... still crashes...

i wanted to try the hideSplashScreen thing, but it dosen't exist (anymore?)
any help would be great :)

By the way... i played a little with the pngs inside the mmp app folder.
Just replace the IAP-Lock-Graphic.png with a png of your desire :)
I made myself an Alpine png, so the ipod is gone and it shows the logo (like a regular ipod would do).
The Accessory Connected Message can be edited in the Localizable.strings file inside English.lproj (or every other used language)

cheffi

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
dosen't work.

with or without the ldid process makes no difference, MMP quits to Homescreen.

Yet another restore :(
Is there any difference on a german iPhone?!

Vathek

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
And videos ?

I've just tried the hack with a jailbroken italian 2.2.1 iphone 3g and it worked flawlessy! :)

My car audio system is an Alpine CDE-102Ri and it works perfectly even with this hack: the text (song/album/artist/etc names) do appear normally on the radio lcd.

Actually I did the hack the TWO substitution of the code, both the _initializeSplashScreen and the _suspendMainScreen and at the moment I didn't noticed any strange blank screen and I haven't had to switch off/on the car audio to have the ipod application working.

I noticed only some minor flaws and a bigger one.

The smaller ones are the following:
- whenever the iphone is connected to the radio, if I search a track using the radio, when I press play on the radio, the iphone comes back on the list page, but it starts playing the song without any problem.

- volume on the iphone doesn't work, but it could be a good thing: only the car audio system can control the volume of the songs. (I suppose the same happens to equalizer but I'm not sure)

- double tapping on home button when the iphone is in standby doesn't show the little ipod control window but I very seldom use it, so I completely don't mind about it.

Then the bigger one:
- Videos don't work :( I mean, videos correctly start and the audio comes from the car speakers, but on the iphone screen there's only a small static frame of the video: no dinamic images so no video stream :(

I obviously don't know why this happens, but I'm sure that there's some other code that could be changed to allow playing videos.
It seems like a kind of protection to not have video while driving or something simlar, because if I switch off the radio the videos can run.

I will start studying on the code to see if something can be done for the videos, anyway this hack is already a big big thing to finally see album art and select/rate songs while connected to the car audio system.

Thank you very much to the author for his effort to make this possible :)

---------------------
Edit
Well, actually I faced the little problem of the text on the radio not being changed. It's a small glitch and it seems to appear whenever you change track on the iphone/ipod without stopping the previous track. Anyway if you press fast-forward and then fast-backward the text get fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.