Iphone Mod: Black case mod from cnn.cn?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikoner, Oct 10, 2007.

1. nikoner macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I have searched for a long time and cannot seem to track down the thread with the black case mod for the back of the iphone. i remember it was purchased at cnn.cn.

If anyone can post the link, i'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks
    N.

2. hidehide macrumors 6502

I want to get that too.. but I dont want to remove the small parts from my original cover..
    I just found on ebay. I think I will get an OEM silver backplate, and spray it matte black by myself :)

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Please learn from my mistake. I am very meticulous and the black case from CNN.CN is a 10 in difficulty. You will ruin the original backing and you will void warranty. I successfully installed despite breaking pieces. Days later my headphone jack and earpiece failed beyond Apple repair.

I was charged $249+tax for turning in my 'damage' iPhone for a replacement.

The jury is out on painting a silver backing. Its mostly switching the inards that is the scary part. iFixIt includes all parts attached already.

Now I still love my now $800 iPhone!

4. hidehide macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didnt really understand this sentence..
    The jury is out on painting a silver backing. Its mostly switching the inards that is the scary part. iFixIt includes all parts attached already.

And can you tell me what breaks in your case??

I bought an extra back cover, so I will paint it black.. and replace it..
    It has the structure.. I just need to take out the headphone jack...

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The tolerances are sooo fine that I would never attempt to install the black back cover again. However, if you received the back cover with ALL pieces attached already you should just be aware that the original case would be ruined.

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Not really. It is true that removing the back case is difficult the first time, but once you have a bit of experience (and the right tools: nylon ipod "pry tool" and/or guitar pick) it can be done reasonably easily without any damage.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I used a tool kit from iFizIt.com - don't perform this mod - just Colorware.

8. Croiman macrumors newbie

Why you don't make your own iphone mod? like me, this is my iphone mod :

Polished alu, ingraved on the back,
    a appel that light up like a macbook and a mirror screenprotection of proporta.com
    and the antenna cover painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zmit macrumors regular

WOW thats cool.....

how is the apple logo lit up? via its own lights or by the screen? (which wouldnt quite make sense)

looks good!

i think i want to engrave mine...

10. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

looks to me like its painted white

11. Croiman macrumors newbie

the appel is made of plexiglass, pvc,plastic, how you call this? it's NOT painted, it's handmade the appel for perfect fit in the space, where normally the chrome appel is.
    The appel has his own led's, not from the screen light (not possible also).
    The sign at the back of the cover is made with blowing sand with machine to it. (sorry for bad english, i can't explain it)

Attached Files: