Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
So the phone will cost 500-600 bucks. How much will the monthly rates go for? Seems like it could be super expensive if all the features are enabled(e.g. google directions)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
sorry, we don't know yet... people have guessed and estimated all over this forum, you could try flipping through old threads.

but to find out for sure, we'll just have to wait until AT&T lets some more info slip :)

Troyte83

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
i figure that the cheapest call plan is 39.99 a month and the data plan with unlimited data is 19.99 a month so before taxes and all thos fees you ar looking at abouth 60 dollars a month, after taxes probably 80 dollars. then again i am just estimating. they might even have a speical iphone plan that includes all that who knows?

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
I am hoping something like this happens....AT&T has unlimited data for $20 a month, and they just released unlimited texts (pics and vid) to ANY network for $20 a month. I am hoping that to promote the iPhone and all its uses, that they will combine the two for $25-30. We shall find out soon.

gr8gatzby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2001
Charlotte, NC
why would it differ eh?

The monthly rate plans for the iPhone will not deviate from the rate plans for any other smartphone or pda that Cingular offers, as there will be no apple specific service offered (like the blackberry). The iPhone will just be another device in the Cingular/AT&T lineup that does the same thing as any other PDA in the their closet of toys, just thinking differently, of course.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I am hoping something like this happens....AT&T has unlimited data for $20 a month, and they just released unlimited texts (pics and vid) to ANY network for $20 a month. I am hoping that to promote the iPhone and all its uses, that they will combine the two for $25-30. We shall find out soon.

$20/month unlimited data is for regular phones only.
It is $40/month for unlimited data on PDA/smartphones.
There is no reason to believe pricing will be any different for the iPhone.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
$20/month unlimited data is for regular phones only.
It is $40/month for unlimited data on PDA/smartphones.
There is no reason to believe pricing will be any different for the iPhone.
But for those prices the phone/smartphone is free. As the iPhone is not free, see huge cut on monthly bills. If not, it's one huge rip-off.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Don't expect any savings. my blackberry through cingular is $100/mo (900 minutes, unlimited data, 1500 text messages) and that is CHEAPER than the PDA plans.

And the phones are most definitely not free. After carrier subsidy my Blackberry was $200. That's one of the cheapest smartphones they offer. The other ones were $300+ after subsidy.

Don't expect any discounts, this is a high dollar luxury item and the bills are going to reflect that. Cingular doesn't really make any money off the phone sales, that's apple's profit area, so the monthly bills are gonna be HIGH.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Is the iphone a smartphone or PDA?

Can someone help translate what 5mb of data usage is on a phone? Like how long can you browse the web with that amount?

I would expect iPhone to be treated as a device with its own plans, contrary to the poster who said there were no Iphone-specific services. Visual Voicemail is at least one we know of. We don't yet know whether AT&T will lean toward considering it a smartphone or a PDA.

5 mb of data usage on iPhone would be laughable. Since it features a rich browser which downloads pages comparable in size to those you browse on your desktop, you'd go through 5 mb in a few days of casual browsing. I estimate that a typical web page has at least 50 kb of data; that gives you 100 page views (perhaps more with caching, perhaps less with larger pages).

BrittQ

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Thanks Neven.
I really hope the additional/data/internet/voicemail plans are less than $40.00.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks Neven.
I really hope the additional/data/internet/voicemail plans are less than $40.00.

Well currently, unlimited data service is $45 for a PDA phone (I'd expect a comparable price, since this is what the windows mobile devices are serviced with), and 1000 text messages is an additional $10. Visual voicemail for the blackberry (yes, it's already been done) is $10/mo for the first 40 messages and I think like 40 cents a message after that through the provider who services it.

I'd expect a minimum of $50 for the data plan with text messages. the blackberry plans with 1000 text messages are $40 and they don't have a feature rich internet system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.