iPhone most definitely going with Docomo in Japan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tony-in-japan, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

With the well-documented negotiations between Apple, Docomo and Softbank, I think Docomo will definitely be the carrier for the iPhone this year.

Why do I say this?

Well, I was travelling on the trains to Tokyo and back today and saw what appeared to be iPhone adverts all over the train. Upon closer look, it was in fact something that resembled very closely *cough... “rip off”* of that item everyone in Japan is waiting to ‘touch’ (well, me, anyway).

It was in fact a phone called ‘Full Face 2’ with the carrier Softbank (link: http://gizmodo.com/350471/sharps-full-face-2-cellphone-brings-inevitable-comparisons). Now, I wonder, if Softbank was going to release the real iPhone, would they risk offending Apple by releasing this imitation now? Hence, it looks like Apple and Docomo have already agreed to be partners.

Great news for me as I am already on the Docomo network! Now, back to my waiting....

Attached Files:

2. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Looks pretty sleek. So do most cell phones in Japan really have cameras in the front? Can a lot of them do video conferencing? If so Apple better have a front facing iSight in iPhone 2.0! I think it is interesting that the SDK prohibits what needs to be done to make iChat or GPS, is this a sign that Apple wants to take care of those apps personally? I hope so!

3. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Should I wait for iPhone or get the latest mobile in Japan?

Yes, my Docomo phone can do video conferencing. There is actually two cameras: one on the back for photography and one on the front for video calls (I suppose you can take self-pictures too).

Actually, today, I realised my phone is broken, so I am stuck between waiting for that iPhone Japan release or to get a new Docomo phone. The one I want has a very cool flip screen so you can view websites in widescreen. Plus it has a whopping 480×862 screen resolution -- that is more than twice that of the iPhone! (plus 3.2MP camera and mobile TV). Mmmmm, decisions, decisions...

What do readers think... this phone now or wait for the iPhone?

Attached Files:

4. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I would for sure wait for the iPhone. That phone is kinda cool, but anything like that just looks clunky and ugly compared to an iPhone and its GUI in my opinion.

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I'm a fan in general of DoCoMo's high end phones... They're damn nice. It's a shame I don't live over in Japan, haha. I'd say the earliest the iPhone would show up in Japan is June, since that's currently the most likely date that the iPhone 2.0 will drop to coincide with the SDK and whatnot, so if you can stand the wait, then why not. If not, go for it, that phone is pretty spiffy, haha.

6. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

Mmmmm, come to think of it...

After I made my post, I remembered two keywords: SDK and iTunes.

Hence I am going to wait for the iPhone. By June there should be many new applications in development (and developed), plus it can replace my iPod nano as a music/video device.

It seems, even if the phones in Japan has better specs and functionality, I don’t think you can call them ‘real’ competition if the iPhone suddenly has a wealth of talented developers creating awesome apps for it, plus a central hub of a store where you can instantly pick up new software, music and the latest rental movies.

The way Apple has seamlessly integrated everything into one device and store blows away the competition. I think mobile phone companies should be very scared of their future survival in the upcoming years.

7. Patriiick macrumors member

Do not underestimate the appeal of the Apple brand to the Japanese.
    They are extremely tech savvy and even though the sharp looks a lot like an iphone, it s not a deal breaker for anyone - even NTT-DCM and Apple relationship.

The Mobile market in japan is saturated and the big players spend a lot of $$$ trying to get people to switch. It s the same situation everywhere but here it s the basis of the whole market.

Having an Apple phone on your offer is a very strong force to lure new consumers to you.. especially a revision 2 which will be probably even more sleek than rev one, handle 3g and the likes.

Average monthly bills are higher than you think for Japanese consumers, as the push BOTH a lot of data and voice, OTA Tv etc.. but you need to have exactly the right product for Japan: Preconfigured DoCoMo portal, plan for 3g streaming TV (although not that man people use it, contrary to popular belief), Japanese Itunes (check! :)) etc..

Not too far off, but iphone lookalikes will not be deal breakers for Japan.