iPhone Most Recents - Privacy Flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MostRecents, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MostRecents macrumors newbie

So this has been puzzling me all weekend and I would like someone to explain what may have happened, besides Apple keeping more information than they would admit.

I got an iPhone 6 over the weekend and moved my sim card from my iPhone 5S into it.

I have never used iMessage (and Facetime) with my iCloud/Apple account, but I do have an iCloud account that I had been using on my iPhone 5S.

When I set up the Iphone 6 I chose to sign into this same iCloud account as I was setting up the phone (as a new device). All of my contacts etc synced. I made sure that iMessage (and Facetime) were turned off.

I noticed the new feature that when you double tap your home button, you see what is a list of your most recents.

There were 4 people in my most recents, all of whom were the last people I had text message exchanges with on my iPhone 5S up until I got the iPhone 6.

How is that information there?
    If the messages were not sent through iMessages/iCloud, how would Apple have that information?
    If the messages were not stored on the sim card, how would that information be transfered from the old iPhone 5S to the new iPhone 6?
    I did not backup from any previous backup.

Does anyone have any insight into how the iPhone 6 would know who I most recently texted using my iPhone 5S?

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Well, SIM cards can contain text messages and call logs.
    Also, iCloud could remember recent contacts regardless of which service you used to actually send a messag (this makes sense to me -- why have a different recents list for each different way of contacting someone?)