iPhone Movie Playback Crashing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoomy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. yoomy macrumors member

Hi

i have tested this on 3 seperate iPhones, each with different firmware version (1.1.2, 1.1.3 and 1.1.4), one of them was jailbroken the other 2 were original iPhones.

during movie playback (doesnt matter if its a converted movie or 1 purchased via itunes store, even music videos) the sound suddenly stops and a few seconds later the playback stops and im back at video selection screen. if i start the same movie again it starts playing from the start again. i have not found a way to fix this bug yet, but it happend on all 3 iphones and makes it impossible to actually use the iphone for watching a movie.

2. silverswingman macrumors newbie

Video Playback crashes for me too

I am so glad to find this post. I have the exact same symptoms. Or at least I have this issue among several on video playback, and this one is the most annoying. Here is what I have seen on all TV Shows I have bought on ITunes and the one movie I rented on iTunes:

1. Every few minutes, I get blocky corruption. I think this is macroblock corruption. Usually within a second or two, it clears up. Annoying but survivable.

2. About once per half hour tv show, I lose sound and then a few seconds later the show exits back to the video selection screen. Same as yoomy reports. Also saw this many times in the rented movie before I gave it up.

3. On one tv show, the picture froze and the audio kept going. This was the hardest to recover from and to get the show back to the beginning again. Tapping on the frozen screen eventually gave me a position slider.

For all of the above, it happens in the exact same spots in each show, once the show is loaded on the iphone.
    However:
    - if I watch the shows on my PC in Itunes, there is no corruption and no crash.
    - if I move the shows around on my iPhone (remove them all and then sync in different patterns of enabling shows to sync), then the crashes and corruptions move to different places in the show.

I do not use Jailbreak.
    I have seen this on both 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 firmware.
    I have seen it now on two iPhones (the Apple store replaced my iphone yesterday because of these problems, and I have the same symptoms on the new one last night).

Here is the $10,000 question for yoomy ... are you running iTunes on Windows Vista?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else in this mess too.

Thanks

3. silverswingman macrumors newbie

Almost definitely a vista issue

Doing some more googling on this, I found this thread on the apple discussion forum site:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6162404&#6162404

search down to the posting with this text: "READ THIS VISTA USERS WITH CRASHING!!!" (not my caps). This posting documents video working on iPod Touch when synced from XP, crashing when syncing with Vista, then okay again when taken to a second XP PC.

I am about to move iTunes back to my XP PC. This sucks. I was trying to retire that box.

4. yoomy thread starter macrumors member

Hi there :)

I have been able to track the problem down. It has nothing to do with the iPhone, its all about the PC or Vista. I synced the same movies with my MacBook Air and now the movie playback is flawless. I do not think it affects everyone with vista though, maybe some. You can try reinstalling itunes on that machine and switchting the USB port.

5. silverswingman macrumors newbie

Switching to XP Fixes the Movie Playback

I went back to iTunes on my XP PC.
    Erased the iPhone and synced it with Itunes on XP ... and video playback is now flawless for me too.

Another black eye for Vista :mad:

6. Shale macrumors newbie

Not one to rain on any Vista bashing parade, but I wanted to share what fixed my problem.

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 on a Quad-core system (q6600) and I know I saw other threads talking about this being an USB drive issue but in my case I found that it was my anti-virus that was causing the corruption (I use Avast). If I sync with the antivirus protection on then the corruption occurs, if I disable my anti-virus while performing the synchronization it completes with no problems. I have done this a number of times with a sizable amount of files (2 movies, and nine TV episodes).

I know we like to blame Microsoft, but in my case this is a third party issue and does not appear to have anything to do with Vista. Thought I would share in case this helps anyone else.

7. silverswingman macrumors newbie

Vista related ... but whose bug?

Well, I do not know if it is a Microsoft bug, or a third party utility or driver issue, but I think you are right that it is likely USB related.

I too have an antivirus product installed on my Vista PC, but in my case it is Trend Micro Internet Security. it would be interesting to go back to the Vista PC and see if it can sync video to the iPhone with the Trend Micro disabled ... but frankly I don't have the energy. I have put enough time into this bug. I'll stay with XP for now.

Thanks for the additional info, though.

8. objectmaster macrumors newbie

Seems a new USB PCI card does work

I had the same problem with movies crashing back to menu at some random points. I too have Windows Vista, an Intel chipset and in my case an Asus P5B mother board.

After trying a lot of stuff, including disabling my antivirus (Symantec), closing down several background processes and switching cables and positions, I finally ordered a USB extension card (ROSEWILL PCI-USB RC-101) from Newegg.com for $16.98 and it seems to have resolved the issue. I was close to reverting back to XP, but it would take way longer for me than to just plop a card into the machine and I value my time at that price.

For notebook users with this issue, you may want to look into extension PCMCIA cards (I know this is not okay...).

Thanks to some of the previous posters for posting this work around. For anyone else, don't touch Vista especially since Balmer himself acknowledges the failure of this OS. :mad: