Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jeff Grossman (Jeffrey903), author of GasApp for the iPhone, has released a new iPhone specific application called MoviesApp at http://moviesapp.com

MoviesApp allows you to search for movies in your ZipCode and provides basic movie information, including Length, Genre, Rating and Showtimes.

Jeff added a few iPhone specific features which make it much more useful, however. This includes Google Map integration with the iPhone as well as links to iPhone-formatted Movie trailers (when available).

Article Link

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
houston we have a problem...

That's great! It's just too bad that moviesapp.com doesn't work on the iPhone. :eek: Works great on Safari on my Windoze box though.

EDIT: Seems to be working now. Cool.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I love it, love both of them, can't wait to see what else he puts out.

llarson

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I keep getting a login request window on my iPHONE

Works great on my Mac but I can't get passed the passowrd request and there isn't a way to create one?

MobyIck

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2003
perfect

Just the app i was looking for. I was waiting for something that did a better job with the theater listings....

Thanks!

tho

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
definitely well done. wish this was a widget on the homescreen. oh well soon enough.

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Apple has not provided a way to add bookmarks, apps, links, etc to the home screen yet. But I would think that it's coming eventually.

Jeff, just noticed your UI updates, nice! I'm not wild about the smaller zipcode field though. I liked it BIG. :) Another thought... consider tying your labels into your radio boxes. I keep thumbing the word "Movie" or "Theatre" before realizing the labels aren't tied in. Basically, give each radio button a unique "ID" attribute and surround the text with LABEL tags with a "for" attribute that points to their respective control. This will significantly increase the tap region, so that users don't have to try to tap the little radio control, and instead can easily tap the words themselves. Also, consider "blanking" the zipcode field when it recieves focus. As the loupe isn't functional on non-zooming pages, most of the utility of pre-existing data is lost.

I'm thinking that could really ratchet up the quickness of using the form!

Again... good stuff!

~ CB

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions. I know that the zipcode is now smaller, but I now have the field clear when you click on it (otherwise it will just use the same zipcode as the last time you used it).

Also, I tried adding in the label for, and it works on Safari on the Mac, but it doesn't seem to be working on the iPhone. Let me know if it works for you.

Edit - I increased the font size of the zip code, and it is now significantly better. Also, I used a workaround with javascript for the label for bug, so now clicking on word "Theater" or "Movie" will work.

Also, I tried adding in the label for, and it works on Safari on the Mac, but it doesn't seem to be working on the iPhone. Let me know if it works for you.
That sucks. Apple... why??? :( :) I just ran a quick test, I'll IM you a code suggestion.
Edit - I increased the font size of the zip code, and it is now significantly better. Also, I used a workaround with javascript for the label for bug, so now clicking on word "Theater" or "Movie" will work.
Heh... GMTA.

~ CB

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
Very nice app. I am hoping it stays for a long time, I personally will be using this a few times a week, thank you. A donation will be forthcoming!

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
I just wanted to let everyone know that I added a zip code lookup feature, where if you know your city and state but not zip code, you can look it up and it will give you a list of zip codes to choose from (since some towns have more than one zipcode).

I will be adding this to Gas.app soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.