iPhone Multiplayer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kk1ro, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kk1ro macrumors regular

Hey,

I recently downloaded a few games such as Asphalt 4 and Raging Thunder and I want to play them with my friends but I'm kind of curious about how multiplayer gaming works on the iPhone!
    The games say all players must be connected to the same WiFi point... What does that mean? Do you need to be near a WiFi access point to play local multiplayer with some friends? Because that doesn't make a lot of sense...
    Doesn't the iPhone work like the DS and PSP where one of the consoles serves as the host while the others join in without having to be near a WLAN hotspot?

Thanks in advance!

2. Stepper macrumors regular

You both have to be connected to the same network via WiFi. So if your at your house and you got WiFi connect both of the phones onto your network and you will be able to play each other.

3. kk1ro thread starter macrumors regular

In other words: No WiFi hotspot nearby, no multiplayer, right?
    I hope that, later on, some games come out with some form of multiplayer (iPhone-to-iPhone) that doesn't require a connection to a WiFi network just to play with a couple of friends that are standing right next to you...

4. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

multiplayer is the best thing about NDS. Its so good that only one person has to have the game as well. Mario kart all the way.
    racing games, using the accelerometer on the iPhone are crap compared to mario kart on the DS. Its the same with Wii mario kart and its stupid steering system.

But more direct to the question: the DS has its own wi-fi thingo in it so it can create a network (and not just receive) to play multiplayer on. The iPhone seems to lack this which is why you have to connect to a proper wi-fi network.

5. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

loser!