iPhone Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdechko, May 29, 2007.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

I have very limited experience with Smartphones and PocketPC Phones in general, but how are the multitasking capabilities on these phones and how will that translate over to the iPhone. (I understand multitasking is basically a function of CPU & Memory on a PC, but with the limited resources of current phones, how is it?)

I mean, the way this is marketed, it would be silly if you could not surf the web while listening to music. Then when a call comes in, the music pauses, the browser goes to the background, and the call is taken. When it's ended, the music resumes and the user continues listening & surfing.

Does it already work like this on many PocketPC phones?

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

In Steve's keynote demo he showed a bunch on multitasking with the iPhone.

Thing like listening to music which fades down when a call comes and looking up stuff on the internet and sending emails while talking on the phone.

So yeah it can do that kind of stuff.

But I can basically do everything with my ancient samsung phone while having a conversation, so it is probably not that big of a deal but more of a must.

3. neven macrumors 6502a

The iPhone webpage says,

"iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background over Wi-Fi or EDGE."

I don't think anything but an incoming call will stop your music. Email, SMS, and web pages should load in the background. It remains to be seen how quickly we'll be able to switch between these, but I think it's obvious that you'll be able to run all the features at once.

4. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

**Slaps forehead**

Thanks. :eek:

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yesterday was multitasking day for me...

I was doing a search on LexisNexis Academic Search, Academic Premier Search, MacRumors Forum Search, checking email, and checking sports scores, giving someone directions back to the freeway via maps, watching and listening to a one hour and 34 minute music video via my Bose In-Ear Headphones. Didn't have a clue that I was doing all this at the same time, I just did it! :p