iPhone Music Back into iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pip20, Apr 24, 2012.

1. pip20 macrumors newbie

A couple of weeks ago my computer crashed and I had to get it sent in. They replaced everything including the hard drive without me backing it up. I have mostly all the music I like to listen to on my iPhone. Today I took a song from an artists blog and put it into my iTunes. I then tried the usual drag and drop method of putting music onto my iPhone, and not to my surprise it wouldn't let me.
    Is there any way that I can restore my music from my iPhone back to my iTunes so I can start adding music again without wiping out the entire library on my iPhone? All of my music is gone. Most of it was from CD's years ago, getting it from friends and the internet. Some was downloaded via iTunes. Help is greatly appreciated.

2. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

All music is stored under /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music, but is assigned to random folder and given random file names, I imagine you could use a program like iExplorer or iFunbox to move those files onto your computer, you would just have to use program to rename those files...or do it yourself lol. Not sure if there is another way to go about doing this..

3. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

If you have a mac, you can use this piece of software which has a free 30 day trial and can transfer stuff from your iPhone back to your mac
    http://download.cnet.com/iPhone-Transfer-Pro/3000-2140_4-75628187.html

If you're on Windows, you can try this http://download.cnet.com/iPod-Folder/3000-2140_4-54014.html?tag=lst--2

That should allow you to put all your music back onto your computer.

With regards to dragging music onto your iPhone, if you click your iPhone in iTunes and then make sure the 'Manually Manage Music And Videos' check box is ticked and try again?

4. pip20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Manually Manage was already selected. I think it's because my iPhone hasn't synced/registered with this new iTunes yet. Not sure if you used the windows program http://download.cnet.com/iPod-Folder...tml?tag=lst--2 but for some reason it is saying "This is volume doesn't have the correct iPod structure!"

And EngagewithRage, I'm not sure I follow...

5. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Lol no prob, if you are not sure what I am talking about then it would be best if you stay away from the method I described

6. pip20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved. If anyone has a similar situation google Sharepod and download it. It's free and worked perfectly.