iPhone music control via Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Waldo-Tron, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Waldo-Tron macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed any issues with controlling music on iPhone (X iOS 11.4) via the watch? It seems after updating to WatchOS 4.3.1 on my S0 I can browse without any issues but when selecting to play it thinks for a few seconds and then nothing. It displays the correct artist/album info and just doesn’t play, the info disappears and shows the play/skip/back buttons and that it’s currently looking at the iPhone library. If I hit play there it shuffles all music on the iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this? Cheers in advance.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

3. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

FA40735F-BFEE-4866-B342-827142482731.png
    I have this exact same problem. I have a series 3 (non-LTE) and a iPhone 7 both updated with latest software and since the update I have had this issue. Before update I would press the play from library option and I could play music from library through my wiresless beats with no problem. Now I have to select the on phone option, whenever I don’t I get this message even though I am an Apple Music subscriber? Is there something I am missing?

4. Waldo-Tron thread starter macrumors newbie

I can navigate through all my iPhone music and select:

CD33EA81-B198-43F4-A17E-A52EFC8BBAAB.jpeg

You can see the blurred artwork behind for the album but after a few seconds it doesn’t play and goes back to:

D768C257-E9B1-4287-9B12-50F8B42518E3.jpeg

Maybe Apple are easing me into the inevitable device upgrade for watchOS 5? ;)

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

That’s weird. Mine play the whole album.
    Looks like it connected & played but suddenly stopped. Very weird.

Stupid question, did you try force restart the watch?

Have to say your behavior is just like my HomePod when I ask it directly (I can AirPlay from iPhone but if i try to command it to play the songs itself it’ll behave like what you described.).

6. Waldo-Tron thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is weird. I’ve force restarted the watch, unpaired etc. If I select music on iPhone/Artists or Albums and navigate to anything in particular, nothing. If I go to music on iPhone/Songs and navigate it will always play the first track (first in alphabetical order) and once that’s playing and I select another track it will start the first song over again! Interestingly it will play tracks I navigate to whether via Artist, Album or Song if it was purchased via iTunes!

7. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Sound like problem with Apple Music? Maybe log out & re-sign in?

8. Waldo-Tron thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never signed up for Apple Music, too old school for that!

9. klymr macrumors 65816

I just tried playing 3 different playlists that I manually added to my iPhone and I'm experiencing the same issue. If I play an album or playlist that contains music purchased from iTunes, it will play nearly instantly. Interesting that the Apple Watch can see those songs, but it refuses to play. (For reference: iPhone 7 on iOS 11.4 and Series 2 on 4.3.1)

10. Nocker84 macrumors newbie

Same problem here. iPhone 7 Plus with 11.4 and AW S3 (4.3.1.)
    Any solution?
    is it incredible that apple has not noticed? I have restored iphone and watch and the problem is not solved.

11. Waldo-Tron thread starter macrumors newbie

At least it's not just me. Typically Apple took away the feature, brought it back and have now broke it.

12. Bill Av, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018

Bill Av macrumors regular

Same for me. I did a reset of the watch, put the problem persists. I'm tempted to do a wipe of my phone and watch, but that's hardly ever fixed a problem for me.

**Update** I wiped my phone and watch. Did a clean install on both and the problem remains.

**Update #2** I was having issues with my Mac (it wouldn’t shut down), so I took the opportunity to do a clean install of High Sierra. I reimported my music into iTunes, wiped my phone and watch and set them up as “new”. I still have the problem.

13. Bill Av, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018

Bill Av macrumors regular

You are 100% right - I just tried it. I don't have much music from the iTunes Store, but I am able to initiate playback on the watch if the music on the phone is a Protected or Purchased title (Songs of Innocence is finally good for something - I listened to it for the second time ever today). In fact, I have an album that I ripped from a CD, but then bought a "bonus track" from iTunes. When I try to initiate playback from the watch, it skips the entire album and starts to play the one track that I bought off iTunes.

14. Bill Av macrumors regular

Today's Apple Watch update fixes this issue.

15. Waldo-Tron thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to getting home and doing the update! Not ready to listen to that U2 album yet ;)