Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waldo-Tron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
London
Has anyone noticed any issues with controlling music on iPhone (X iOS 11.4) via the watch? It seems after updating to WatchOS 4.3.1 on my S0 I can browse without any issues but when selecting to play it thinks for a few seconds and then nothing. It displays the correct artist/album info and just doesn’t play, the info disappears and shows the play/skip/back buttons and that it’s currently looking at the iPhone library. If I hit play there it shuffles all music on the iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this? Cheers in advance.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
No issue here.

Attachments

• B9C2C610-4890-4A86-877D-B0104D9879FB.png
    B9C2C610-4890-4A86-877D-B0104D9879FB.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 180

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
FA40735F-BFEE-4866-B342-827142482731.png
Has anyone noticed any issues with controlling music on iPhone (X iOS 11.4) via the watch? It seems after updating to WatchOS 4.3.1 on my S0 I can browse without any issues but when selecting to play it thinks for a few seconds and then nothing. It displays the correct artist/album info and just doesn’t play, the info disappears and shows the play/skip/back buttons and that it’s currently looking at the iPhone library. If I hit play there it shuffles all music on the iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this? Cheers in advance.

I have this exact same problem. I have a series 3 (non-LTE) and a iPhone 7 both updated with latest software and since the update I have had this issue. Before update I would press the play from library option and I could play music from library through my wiresless beats with no problem. Now I have to select the on phone option, whenever I don’t I get this message even though I am an Apple Music subscriber? Is there something I am missing?

Waldo-Tron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
London
No issue here.
I can navigate through all my iPhone music and select:

CD33EA81-B198-43F4-A17E-A52EFC8BBAAB.jpeg

You can see the blurred artwork behind for the album but after a few seconds it doesn’t play and goes back to:

D768C257-E9B1-4287-9B12-50F8B42518E3.jpeg

Maybe Apple are easing me into the inevitable device upgrade for watchOS 5? ;)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I can navigate through all my iPhone music and select:

View attachment 765644

You can see the blurred artwork behind for the album but after a few seconds it doesn’t play and goes back to:

View attachment 765645

Maybe Apple are easing me into the inevitable device upgrade for watchOS 5? ;)

That’s weird. Mine play the whole album.
Looks like it connected & played but suddenly stopped. Very weird.

Stupid question, did you try force restart the watch?

Have to say your behavior is just like my HomePod when I ask it directly (I can AirPlay from iPhone but if i try to command it to play the songs itself it’ll behave like what you described.).

Waldo-Tron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
London
Yeah, it is weird. I’ve force restarted the watch, unpaired etc. If I select music on iPhone/Artists or Albums and navigate to anything in particular, nothing. If I go to music on iPhone/Songs and navigate it will always play the first track (first in alphabetical order) and once that’s playing and I select another track it will start the first song over again! Interestingly it will play tracks I navigate to whether via Artist, Album or Song if it was purchased via iTunes!

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I just tried playing 3 different playlists that I manually added to my iPhone and I'm experiencing the same issue. If I play an album or playlist that contains music purchased from iTunes, it will play nearly instantly. Interesting that the Apple Watch can see those songs, but it refuses to play. (For reference: iPhone 7 on iOS 11.4 and Series 2 on 4.3.1)

Nocker84

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
Same problem here. iPhone 7 Plus with 11.4 and AW S3 (4.3.1.)
Any solution?
is it incredible that apple has not noticed? I have restored iphone and watch and the problem is not solved.

Waldo-Tron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
London
At least it's not just me. Typically Apple took away the feature, brought it back and have now broke it.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Same for me. I did a reset of the watch, put the problem persists. I'm tempted to do a wipe of my phone and watch, but that's hardly ever fixed a problem for me.

**Update** I wiped my phone and watch. Did a clean install on both and the problem remains.

**Update #2** I was having issues with my Mac (it wouldn’t shut down), so I took the opportunity to do a clean install of High Sierra. I reimported my music into iTunes, wiped my phone and watch and set them up as “new”. I still have the problem.

Last edited:

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Yeah, it is weird. I’ve force restarted the watch, unpaired etc. If I select music on iPhone/Artists or Albums and navigate to anything in particular, nothing. If I go to music on iPhone/Songs and navigate it will always play the first track (first in alphabetical order) and once that’s playing and I select another track it will start the first song over again! Interestingly it will play tracks I navigate to whether via Artist, Album or Song if it was purchased via iTunes!

You are 100% right - I just tried it. I don't have much music from the iTunes Store, but I am able to initiate playback on the watch if the music on the phone is a Protected or Purchased title (Songs of Innocence is finally good for something - I listened to it for the second time ever today). In fact, I have an album that I ripped from a CD, but then bought a "bonus track" from iTunes. When I try to initiate playback from the watch, it skips the entire album and starts to play the one track that I bought off iTunes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waldo-Tron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.