Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Hey all. I make music on my iPad/iPhone often. but i havent jailbroken my phone. I was wondering if there was any jailbreak type of thing that would do something on the iPad, that I can't do without it being jailbroken. If there are crazy app sin cydia, or it'll let me copy audio to something I usually can't. That type of stuff?

my music is in my sig if you want to get an idea of what i'm looking for.
Thanks and enjoy

ToolB0x

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Hey all. I make music on my iPad/iPhone often. but i havent jailbroken my phone. I was wondering if there was any jailbreak type of thing that would do something on the iPad, that I can't do without it being jailbroken. If there are crazy app sin cydia, or it'll let me copy audio to something I usually can't. That type of stuff?

Thanks and enjoy

Nope, not really. The apps in the appstore are the best youll get for music making apps. But If you jailbreak your iphone or whatever and install Installous, you can get the paid music making apps in itunes for free. ( Not that I endorse it at all )

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Nope, not really. The apps in the appstore are the best youll get for music making apps. But If you jailbreak your iphone or whatever and install Installous, you can get the paid music making apps in itunes for free. ( Not that I endorse it at all )

well thats not really my issue. I just really wanted to be able to do more powerful stuff than is allowed at the moment.

Is there any other reason to jailbreak besides free apps?
I did it back when I had my iPhone2G, and 3G, but I haven't done it since.
All I rememeber back then was being able to change your wallpaper from the black screen that didn't have an app store haha

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
well thats not really my issue. I just really wanted to be able to do more powerful stuff than is allowed at the moment.

All I rememeber back then was being able to change your wallpaper from the black screen that didn't have an app store haha

I have never used jailbreaking as a means to get free app store apps. All my friends and family who jailbreak also don't steal apps. Not because we're holier than thou, but because we're talkin 99¢ typically for software. And if it costs more and it's worth it, then they deserve the $2, $5, or $7 price tag.

Jailbreaking allows you to customize your iDevice to open up abilities you didn't have before. So you can install tweaks and apps which make using and navigating your iDevice easier and faster. Basically more streamlined. But you can also make it so that connecting your device to other iDevices, other computers, tvs, other "components" (that term is used loosely and broadly in this case) much easier. In some cases, where a stock device can't communicate with another device at all, well odds are there's a solution in cydia to overcome that hurdle.

That is just some of the reasons people jailbreak, myself included.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Yeah I don't have a problem with paying the price for apps. I just wanted to do tweaks like you mentioned.

Is there still a easy way to jailbreak? Like jailbreakme.com or whatever the 3gs used to jailbreak really easily.
or do I have to do a bunch of crazy stuff like i did with my iPhone 2g jail breaking?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

All I remember back then was being able to change your wallpaper from the black screen that didn't have an app store haha

I really wish the word "Jailbreaking" was not so associated with pirating apps. The developers put alot of time and work in creating these apps, and deserve to be paid.

Jailbreaking really does open up the ability of your iOS device to a whole world outside of the Apple ecosystem.

----------

Yeah I don't have a problem with paying the price for apps. I just wanted to do tweaks like you mentioned.

Is there still a easy way to jailbreak? Like jailbreakme.com or whatever the 3gs used to jailbreak really easily.
or do I have to do a bunch of crazy stuff like i did with my iPhone 2g jail breaking?

It is very easy, what computer do you sync your device on.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Super easy. It's basically a one click process. Absinthe works on any computer while redsn0w Ibelieve is pc only. I can't remember. But if you have a pc, use either jailbreak program. Absinthe is easier because after you download and extract the software, you simply open up absinthe, connect your phone (not in DFU mode or anything like tha), absinthe will recognize the device and firmware, and you click on jailbreak.

If your device has a ton of data, then I highly recommend redsn0w. It seems to handle many gigs of data better than absinthe. At least thats been my experinec over the course of jailbreaking about 10 different devices (but those were all mostly performed on my pc, so that may be a factor, i dont know). But if your device doesn't have multiple gigs of data on it, absinthe works perfectly. Either way, Buick and many other members will be able to help you out if you have questions. I recommend reading up on it and read a few tutorials to get familiar with the process. It's wicked easy.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Super easy. It's basically a one click process. Absinthe works on any computer while redsn0w Ibelieve is pc only. I can't remember. But if you have a pc, use either jailbreak program. Absinthe is easier because after you download and extract the software, you simply open up absinthe, connect your phone (not in DFU mode or anything like tha), absinthe will recognize the device and firmware, and you click on jailbreak.

If your device has a ton of data, then I highly recommend redsn0w. It seems to handle many gigs of data better than absinthe. At least thats been my experinec over the course of jailbreaking about 10 different devices (but those were all mostly performed on my pc, so that may be a factor, i dont know). But if your device doesn't have multiple gigs of data on it, absinthe works perfectly. Either way, Buick and many other members will be able to help you out if you have questions. I recommend reading up on it and read a few tutorials to get familiar with the process. It's wicked easy.

I've got gigs of music and pics, will absinthe handle that stuff easily?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN

Thanks and enjoy

You need to JB and install iFile. iFile will allow you to copy Multiple Audio files between music apps fast and efficiently.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I've got gigs of music and pics, will absinthe handle that stuff easily?

Which phone are you using? The 4 or 4S? Because if you're using the 4, Redsn0w can use the more traditional ramdisk process which circumvents the issue with lots of data. Absinthe uses an exploit in the backup/restoral process which is why things get a little annoying on very large devices.

Having said that, when jailbreaking a 4S with many gigs of data, I had a higher success rate when using redsn0w because for whatever reason, absinthe always failed. But when the device had minimal data, absinthe worked perfectly fine.

But if you are using the iPhone 4, redsn0w can perform the jailbreak via the ramdisk and entirely skips the backup/restoral exploit. In this case, extremely large quantities of data is a non issue. Redsn0w cannot jailbreak the 4S via the ramdisk method. It must use the same process as absinthe.

Edit: You can try absinthe. Every time I experienced an error with absinthe, the device was always fine afterwards. So you can try it out. If it doesn't work, then download the latest redsn0w and try that. I personally recommend redsn0w because of personal (and recent) experiences but others might feel differently.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Which phone are you using? The 4 or 4S? Because if you're using the 4, Redsn0w can use the more traditional ramdisk process which circumvents the issue with lots of data. Absinthe uses an exploit in the backup/restoral process which is why things get a little annoying on very large devices.

Having said that, when jailbreaking a 4S with many gigs of data, I had a higher success rate when using redsn0w because for whatever reason, absinthe always failed. But when the device had minimal data, absinthe worked perfectly fine.

But if you are using the iPhone 4, redsn0w can perform the jailbreak via the ramdisk and entirely skips the backup/restoral exploit. In this case, extremely large quantities of data is a non issue. Redsn0w cannot jailbreak the 4S via the ramdisk method. It must use the same process as absinthe.

Edit: You can try absinthe. Every time I experienced an error with absinthe, the device was always fine afterwards. So you can try it out. If it doesn't work, then download the latest redsn0w and try that. I personally recommend redsn0w because of personal (and recent) experiences but others might feel differently.
I have a mac, does redsnow exist for mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.