Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I'm trying to sort my iTunes/iPhone in a very particular way and cannot figure it out so any help would be much appreciated!

Currently, when I go through "Music --> Artists" on my iPhone, I have a list of every different entry I've made in the Artist field. This means that I have a different entry for each combination of the same artist featuring a different artist. To clarify, here's an example...

Artist
Artist ft. Guest 1
Artist ft. Guest 2
Artist ft. Guest 3

and so on until the next artist starts.

What I want is for this list not display a different entry for each Guest but rather to have it all under the first Artist entry

Is it possible?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
there is a field in itunes called "album artist" use this field to identify who the "main" artist is.

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
there is a field in itunes called "album artist" use this field to identify who the "main" artist is.

Hey thanks for the response, i just tried it, it did put those featured artist under the "main" artist.

But its still showing those featured artist on the "Artist" section when you scroll down.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
sorry, on the iphone, it looks like it will still list them individually. in itunes you can sort by album artist and column browser will sort by album artist.

if you want your iphone to sort that way, you will have to put the featured artist in the song title.

song title feat. artist
by artist

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
sorry, on the iphone, it looks like it will still list them individually. in itunes you can sort by album artist and column browser will sort by album artist.

if you want your iphone to sort that way, you will have to put the featured artist in the song title.

song title feat. artist
by artist

THANKS A LOT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.