iPhone Music syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pantocrator, May 28, 2008.

1. Pantocrator macrumors member

I have never synced to an apple product before. Can I set up my own way of organzing the music, or do I have to use itunes, and is it only organized by artist, album, title? Right now I use a file system based loosely, but not completely, on albums and genres, but no auto system has ever been like mine, and I don't want to change. My current mp3 player is seen as a removable HDD where I drag and drop files and then browser them as if I were on my computer. Can I do something similar (I know no drag and drop, but the organization) with the iPhone?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've created smartlists, but I've never used anything but my iPhone and my iPod with iTunes. I can use these smartlists to rotate my music, videos, podcasts and photos as well. Sorry, I couldn't answer your question. :(

3. neven macrumors 6502a

1. You have to use iTunes. There may be some programs that will let you add music manually, but I'm not aware of any.
    2. You can pick if you want it to sync automatically, or manually, or from playlists
    3. You can create manual playlists (by picking songs) or "smart" ones (by setting criteria to pick them by).

What you CAN'T do is, for instance, arrange your music in folders on your HDD and then mirror that arrangement on the iPhone. iPods don't do folders; they do browsing by genres/artists/albums etc., and they can do the two above-mentioned types of lists.