Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitenders

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
This is all a bunch of bulshit, TRA trying to justify the fact it wants to make profits by introducing the iPhone to both telecom operators.

Etisalat's held monopoly since ages, they did not allow another telecom operator to come into force, now suddenly when Etisalat wants exclusive rights to sell iPhone, TRA pins the whole thing on Apple for monopoly where as it is the other way around.

TRA wants iPhone to be introduced to both telecom companies so that they can make maximum profit.

Real smooth TRA, blaming Apple for your own greed.

I'm born and brought up in Dubai, UAE so I know whats going on here.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Apple already is releasing the iPhone on multiple networks in parts of the world so there is no reason it can't in the UAE too...

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
While I agree that the iPhone shouldn't be tied down to one carrier in any particular area, I don't believe that the UAE has any justification for prohibiting such an agreement.

Judging from the article and the comments following, it appears that the UAE is not thinking clearly in regards to this issue. Assuming that the facts presented on that page are correct, it seems as if the UAE is playing favorites in regards to devices, and their telecom regulator simply wants to complicate things.

Now, I'm not too familiar with the dealings of the UAE, but judging by the article, it does seem unfair for this to happen.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Tit for Tat. Opec does the same for oil and we got a deal!

OPEC does far worse for oil -- the cartel sets the worldwide price of a vital commodity, and the UAE is one of OPEC's most influential (and wealthiest) members. All that money, and they still aren't familiar with the concept of irony. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.