Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
has everyone already forgotten this little gem of a post? https://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/2...d-3gs-like-next-generation-iphone-in-reserve/

One of the most interesting tidbits included in the report is a claim that Apple had a second next-generation iPhone under development that more closely resembles the iPhone 3GS, a phone which Apple has been keeping in reserve in case unforeseen difficulties with the more significantly redesigned versions seen floating around in prototypes forced Apple to fall back to manufacturing processes with which it is already familiar.

hmmm...its all becoming clear now. keep in mind apple not only designed their first iphone case (that just so happens to reduce the reception issues) but they also allegedly developed a 3GS style prototype with the codename N91.

i wonder what the tipping point would be for apple? more lawsuits or a large number of returns? i dont think steve is willing to throw in the towel just yet on the new design, but this just seems to be a little more interesting with what we know today.

Steve Jobs: "Stay tuned...for our new iPhone 4 Classic"

big0mar

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I have yet to actually meet someone in real life that has an issue with their phone. Only on the internet

SuperDuper-C

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
I have yet to actually meet someone in real life that has an issue with their phone. Only on the internet

TRUTH! lol

Even all of the reviews said that it was generally better, but I suppose every reviewer in the entire world is on Apple's pay roll :rolleyes:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

And even if so, I will be getting the bumper case for mine (once the white model becomes available). That would resolve any potential issues with the reception.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York

TRUTH! lol

Even all of the reviews said that it was generally better, but I suppose every reviewer in the entire world is on Apple's pay roll :rolleyes:

Well, now you have. I have the problem and so do others that I personally know. I'm a strong Apple supporter (and still hoping they resolve this actual issue) but I do know that mistakes happen and new products are susceptible to unforeseen issues. But to say "Oh, I don't have this problem and never met anyone who's had it therefore it must not be a problem" is ignorant and pointless.

Did you meet anyone with a runaway\self-accelerating Toyota? If you haven't met anyone with that problem, do you think it was a non-issue that people were simply making up?

This issue with the iPhone4 is documented and not a work of fiction, accept it. If it's not happening to you or others that you know then that's great. Just don't say that it can't be real because it is.

cfink

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando, FL
Did you meet anyone with a runaway\self-accelerating Toyota? If you haven't met anyone with that problem, do you think it was a non-issue that people were simply making up?

This issue with the iPhone4 is documented and not a work of fiction, accept it. If it's not happening to you or others that you know then that's great. Just don't say that it can't be real because it is.

I'm sorry but that bottom paragraph sounds like somebody talking about their behavioral disorder on a TLC special.

It's obviously real - we've seen the videos, some of which have actually been confirmed.
I would be pissed too if it were affecting my calls but it's not; people just need to stop complaining about it and let Apple figure it out.

Or...just get a case for it.

Fink :apple:

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
imagine if they did release an iphone 4 in a 3GS body. that would be a big deal.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I have had 1 dropped call and there was one time when I was having trouble with 3G and slow speeds and that's it! So I'm a happy camper regarding signal... but my battery is just ok, nothing as spectacular as I hoped.

ChrisN

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
I'm sorry but that bottom paragraph sounds like somebody talking about their behavioral disorder on a TLC special.

It's obviously real - we've seen the videos, some of which have actually been confirmed.
I would be pissed too if it were affecting my calls but it's not; people just need to stop complaining about it and let Apple figure it out.

Or...just get a case for it.

Oh, I completely agree that people should let Apple figure it all out, return the phone if they can, or get a case. Dealing with unforeseen issues comes with being an early adopter. However, while I think people are getting upset with Apple for their apparent stance on the topic, I believe what's more frustrating is the "I don't have this issue so neither do you" stance that others have on here (MacRumors).

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
this isnt a thread to complain about your reception issues or say you dont have any...go do that in one of the other 50 threads on the subject.

this is to talk about looking back at the info about a 2nd iphone 4 being developed using old manufacturing processes knowing what we know today about the new process.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
The problem seems to be isolated to the 3G network and not the EDGE network.

That leads me to believe they can fix this problem thru firmware updates.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Imagine, if they did stop production of iPhone 4 and started shipping these, how much your 'old' iPhone 4 would suddently be worth....
Doesn't matter though as it won't happen.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Imagine, if they did stop production of iPhone 4 and started shipping these, how much your 'old' iPhone 4 would suddently be worth....
Doesn't matter though as it won't happen.

i dont think they would stop shipping the current iphone 4. i think they would maybe make both, and for those having no problems they would continue using their iphone 4 as normal. for those that do have the issue they could exchange for the 3GS body iphone 4. everyone is happy.

sleyeu

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
i dont think they would stop shipping the current iphone 4. i think they would maybe make both, and for those having no problems they would continue using their iphone 4 as normal. for those that do have the issue they could exchange for the 3GS body iphone 4. everyone is happy.

i like the new design though.

classic iphone body isin't going to happen.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i had the signal issues, it was fixed by a bumper. but periodically i do experience the safari not loading even if i have full bars, but i dont care

cfink

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando, FL
I don't see the older case coming back - that'd be silly.

I agree with the comment about a firmware update - that seems MUCH more likely and should be equally effective.

big0mar

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Well, now you have. I have the problem and so do others that I personally know. I'm a strong Apple supporter (and still hoping they resolve this actual issue) but I do know that mistakes happen and new products are susceptible to unforeseen issues. But to say "Oh, I don't have this problem and never met anyone who's had it therefore it must not be a problem" is ignorant and pointless.

My point was, the problem isn't as widespread as some people make it out to be.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
with consumer reports coming out now and being unable to "recommend" the iphone 4, this may put additional pressure on apple.

the software update will only make people angrier imo because i think:

1. a lot of people are uninformed about what the update is actually for (not entirely their fault because i have seen many media outlets incorrectly reporting the scope of the update)

2. it will most likely show less bars in more places, and people will realize how poor the service they are getting actually is

i still would not totally rule out an "iphone 4 classic" if this negative press continues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.