iPhone Names..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A2DY, Mar 7, 2011.

?

What will be next

1. iPhone 4S

15.0%
  2. iPhone 4G

2.5%
  3. iPhone 4GS

5.0%
  4. iPhone 5

77.5%
  1. A2DY macrumors member

I may have missed something but...

Why do people keep thinking the next iPhone could be the 4G or 4GS....

Surely it will be the iPhone 5, each time the phone has been updates it has moved up a number except they missed 2 to go to 3G (for obvious reasons) then presumably used 3GS to get the nuumbers in line with the iP4...

• iPhone
    • iPhone 3G
    • iPhone 3GS
    • iPhone 4

Even if 4g was the next step using the name iPhone 4G after the iPhone 4 wouldn't be the best peice of marketing so surely they must go to iPhone 5 and all this talk of 4S or 4GS is a waste of time?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I 'guess' it's going to be called the iPhone 5.

3. A2DY thread starter macrumors member

but still you voted for 4G :rolleyes::confused:

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It'll be called the iPhone 5.
    The 3G to 3GS upgrade was mainly due to low competition, so a speed bump was all that was required. Although, i find the 3G to 3GS upgrade to be huge spec wise, it's probably the biggest jump.

A dual core A5 chip in the iPhone 5 is a huge upgrade, so i think Apple will be going back to the normal annual upgrade. So the next iPhone will be iPhone 6, then 7, 8, etc.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My bad. I'm on my iPhone and it wouldn't let me zoom in. I pressed '4G' by accident and then while trying to select 'iPhone 5' my fat thumbs hit submit.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

You will only see iPhone 5 in the packaging and ads. iPhone is all it is called in the back of the phone. It will be called iPhone 5. Make it easier every year counting up instead of confusing people more with multiple iPhone 4's.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

People seemed to do ok with the 3G/S, but you're right, no number indication will appear on the phone itself.

8. ozred macrumors 6502

9. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Agree. I'm thinking they actually called it the iPhone 4 because of the A4 chip, rather than because it was the fourth iteration (though they likely named it the A4 chip because it was for the fourth iteration). Every year will bring the next AX chip, which means every year will likely bring the next iPhone X as well.

At some point I think they should just dump the numbers and do what automakers do: the 2011 iPhone. Apple appears very committed to doing annual (and only annual) upgrades; might as well embrace that in a way that consumers are familiar.

They went with 3G because it was an obvious selling point. They went with iPhone 3Gs because they couldn't go with iPhone 3. There are no more numbering issues, and given that LTE isn't even really 4G (and won't be ready until next year's iPhone anyway), there's no reason to try to play that G/s game again.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd go for "V" in the vein of OS X.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

iPhone 5.

By this summer, VZW would not have their LTE 4G network ready for the entire country whereas AT&T could have their HSPA+ 4G ready.

They won't call it iPhone 4G if one of their carriers doesn't even have 4G.

If the iPhone 5 doesn't have HSPA+ on AT&T, I'm not upgrading.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly. The hole 4G thing is confusing enough, people are naturally going to assume it will run on "4G" speeds, but it certainly won't; at least not on AT&T.

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

what the hell are you talking about? the name had nothing to do with the lack of competition. that was just the name they chose at the time.

as for dual core being a huge jump up, it remains to be seen, if there are no apps to fully take advantage of multi-threading then it is just another line on a spec sheet. it is nice to say you have it but you may never actually use it. or another case the apps most people use don't require multi-threading so again the tech isn't used. just look at desktops/laptops. multi core chips have been available for years now and the benifit is still very marginal because most common tasks don't require it.

the bigger question is whether we see iOS5 in Q3 or another update to iOS4. the specs are meaningless and empty. if you want proof just look at all the supposed iphone killers out there. the specs are in most cases equal if not better than the iphone, but they all fall short because the OS isn't as polished

14. kiantech macrumors regular

Probably just called iPhone at this point, look at the iPod line, got tired of names.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I know the name had nothing to do with the lack of competition, i'm saying that the external upgrade was due to the lack of competition.
    The iPhone 3GS was named that because like UrFloorMatt pointed out, they couldn't call it "iPhone 3"

Agreed.
    I'm more excited about a properly designed iOS 5, with the addition of a killer notification system instead.