iPhone Nano Confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by collide007, Jan 19, 2008.

1. collide007 macrumors newbie

I was in an 02 shop today talking to a mate of my brother's who works there and he said that the US will be receiving an iPhone Nano very shortly. No word on any details other than it's exsistance i'm afraid, but the guy said its very likely to have a form factor similar to the current iPod nano.

2. FetalSage macrumors regular

For some reason I doubt it. If it was "very shortly", Jobs would've talked about it at Macworld.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

No offence to your brothers mate, but someone working in a store isn't going to know that sort of thing. He doesn't even work in an apple store, but an O2 store.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, i find it very unlikely that he d know anything, apple store employees don t now but somehow an O2 employee would? I had a rogers representative once here tell me in Canada (this is a couple of days after the iphone was intorduced at macworld 07), he told me he had alreayd played with the iPhone and it wasn't even that cool, and that it was going to be available in canada at the same time as the states... hmmmmmmmmmmm....

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Horse hockey. No one in an O2 store knows any more than the regular macrumors user does.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

iPhone Nano? Does it really need to be smaller? Are people complaining about how huge it is?

:p

Your brother's friend is a moron ;)

7. eddietr macrumors 6502a

No offense to the OP, but it's unlikely that a guy in a phone shop has any inside information from Cupertino.

8. collide007 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know i did think that at the time but perhaps its related to why he didn't say anything about the 3G iPhone? (which the guy also said was definitely on it's way.) The guy seemed genuine to me, what would be his reason for lying? My brother told me he's received inside info from him about other non-apple products.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

He might genuinely believe it, but that doesn't mean he has reliable information. And the fact that he's received info about *non*-apple products doesn't mean much since this rumor is about apple, which is notoriously tight-lipped (especially about brand new, as opposed to updated) products.

Bottom line, there's just no way anyone outside of Cupertino knows about the iphone nano... if it exists.

10. collide007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see where your coming from, I wonder, if his is wrong, who would feed him false information?

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Someone else with false info.

12. collide007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, just found out he was wrong about something else so the this is more than likely to be wrong as well. I really thought I'd found out something good there lol, oh well. Note to self: be less gullible, lol.

13. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Maybe he wanted to feel more important and superior than your average shop assistant or advisor. Lets face it, most of the time, some of them haven't a clue what they are talking about.

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I appreciate the effort, but that's not exactly "confirmed" to me.

I understand the site is macrumors and all, but confirmed...eh this bone needs a little more meat.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So it fits just over your ear? :eek:

16. iwood macrumors newbie

He's probably getting his information from Ferris Bueller. :)

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

An hourly cell phone store worker half a world away from cupertino is not going to have that info. Only a handful of people at Apple HQ knew details about the iphone before it was introduced at MacWorld last year.

Nevertheless, an iphone nano will likely appear sooner than later. Just as Apple released the ipod shuffle to take a bite out of the low end mp3 market, an iphone nano priced at $99 will take a huge bite out of the entry level phone market. It'll be simple, with no touch screen and maybe no internet access, but will be very attractive to the low end phone set who just want a basic phone and music player in one package. I'd look for this to be announced, if not released, at wwdc with shipping definitely occurring before the 2008 holiday season.

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Nice try but you phailed. FCC approval takes 6 months and there is no application filed yet so in short: Its not coming anytime soon.

19. paduck macrumors 6502

Here's the thing that makes the phone market different than the computer market:

The phones have to receive certification from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) before you can sell them. Therefore, they go through a period of testing that lasts about six months.

All new phones are pre-announced as they go into testing. They don't just suddenly appear and you can buy them. If Apple were to announce an iPhone nano, it would still be six months before you could get it.

And I am pretty sure the rollout of new phones is going to be in the US first. Unlike other cellular phone companies, Apple is more US-centric, so you won't see new models in Asia or Europe before the US.