Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lou2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
San Mateo, Ca
I don't think this is really a possibility but...

Personally i don't think this is going to happen. But I'm a huge ipod user (about an hour a day) and a tiny cell phone user ( maybe 5 minutes a day) . i usually end up carrying my ipod and my cell phone wherever i go. In the winter I don't mind cause i got jacket pockets but in the summer I sometimes just leave the cell phone home. I think it looks dorky to wear an ipod and a cell phone on my belt. I wouldn't mind having an ipod that can make calls. i never text and i hardly ever dial. i just answer calls, call people back or use my contacts. So if i could get a prepaid plan this would make sense to me but I don't think there are that many people just like me. Most people use their phones a lot and their ipods a little.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I posted this in like the third or forth message but even after reading everyone's comments I still think what was in the original MR post makes the most sense. A basic iPod front, except an elongated screen/squished click wheel. The click wheel is used to navigate everything (photos, contacts, music player, etc) and then a keypad is underneath it (maybe a slider, maybe a little flip.. some way of puting it behind the click wheel) for dialing, entering in contacts, editing phone numbers, etc. This could either be a basic 12-key pad or a full qwerty slider on the side (then also making use of the accelorometer to flip the screen if you're using the keypad)... either option would work, but if they're really pushing a "basic" phone, i'd say the 12-key option is most likely

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This idea sucks.

- No one will ever see a 16GB iPhone at $600 anytime soon so stop smoking
- The iPhone Nano will fail if it isn't just as good or better than the iPhone, and if it is on Cingular's network
- The price on the iPhone won't come down until it is sold around the world for at least a few months, stop holding your wallets, if you want one go get it.
- Click wheels on phone are so last century. That is a step backwards and will never EVER happen because it is just stupid.
- The iPhone nano may not be out for at least another year.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I think everyone is assuming that smaller iPhone will be the size of the iPod nano. I think it will only be a little bit smaller than the iPhone and that the basic design will be very similar. Sort of similar to the iPod mini, but less of a shrink. There is simply too much to put into one when you include the phone parts, iPod parts, battery, OS X etc.

I think that the major debate during its development was wether or not to include internet access. We'll see how that debate turns out when the product is released.

ywshang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
I find some are unbelievably stupid

Such a rumor is just ridiculously stupid. More ridiculously, many seem to buy it. Forget the click wheel. Despite all the love to it, it's gone in the history for good!

heved

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looking at the images in the right of the pic, it looks like the numbers would be given a spot on the click wheel, like the old rotary phones, and you would just click each number as required. And if you miss clicked, I bet you could just hold it down and scroll...

Shouldn't be too hard to dial.

This could be genius... I wonder if it will incorporate a clickwheel that lights up where you touch it. https://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/16/apple-developing-backlit-trackpad/

illuminatedScrollWheel_300.gif

If the screen and the click wheel provided feedback it would be especially easy to make selections just by releasing your finger.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
I would love an iPhone Nano, as I have played with the normal iPhone and they are just too big for me...IMO, it feels like holding a dinner plate up to your ear....

Also, I do like the internet but don't really need it that badly, so basically I want an iPhone Nano 2nd Gen that can make calls and text message. Either way, I don't mind dialing with a click wheel but I think they will need to implement a full querty keyboard in order to get my purchase, as I don't even like the 2 letters per key implementation on the Blackberry Pearl...To do this, I would guess they either need a slide out (to the side?) keyboard or a full touch screen.

Why would the touch screen be too small for a full keyboard? Could they not just make it so that you text with it sideways?

I also agree that it doesn't make much sense not to put in the multi-touch screen (a smaller version), as they spent a ton to develop it...

The other thing is they need to keep the anodized colored aluminum casing on the Nanos as I'm sure that they sell better than other designs might so a full touch screen makes more sense than any slide out keyboard, even if they have to go back up in size to something of iPod Mini proportions...

iTone

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
CA
i'm kind of amused by the thought of this actually existing. i think it would be pretty neat. i wouldn't mind learning a new way to dial or text. i'm pretty fast learner. :p

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I'm still for the primitive touch screen (no multi-touch, screen is too small for 2 fingers...) and T9 texting like this:

2vv7xj

Or consider this: the iPhone has no MMS. Since the nano version of it will certainly be more limited, ot could be it has no SMS, so a standard clickwheel to scroll through your address book contacts would do the job. But omitting SMS is seriously a bad move.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The current level of iPods have this functionality as well. It's the combination the user must enter to unlock the iPod.

EDIT: I'm not certain which video you're referring to.

The video of the leaked features.

Ah, owning only a 3rd gen I did not realise this. Mmm. Hopefully it will be touchscreen but this raises some doubt.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Looks a little Zune-esque if you ask me... maybe the iPhone Nano has been in design for longer and M$ copied the design - like they did with the touchscreen technology in "Surfaces".

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Do you know why I will stick to my old-fashioned iPod 5G anyway? Because I can control it, while it is in my pocket. Can I control iPhone such way? No!

We're talking about the iPhone nano, not the next iPod. Two completely different products. When you use a phone, you USUALLY :)rolleyes:) have to pull it out of your pocket/purse/bag and look at it, unless you voice dial using a headset, and then touchscreen is irrelevent.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
While iThink that the iPhone will have far less features as the pappa bear iPhone, i do think that is will have rotary dialing as a secondary option. This just seems like the sort of thing that is a great marketing move, i mean, wouldn't you like to see that?

http://ThunkDifferent.com :apple:

4.jpg

photo: artist rendition

Nice one. If that comes to Oz before the iPhone I will probably get one - especially if it comes without a plan.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I wouldn't buy a phone with a click wheel, akward.

How about a dual screen type of deal? Slide out phone with one touchscreen. Slide to reveal a touch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.