Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone Nano Rumors Revived in Otherwise Quiet Lead-in to Macworld

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Questionably reliable iDealsChina publishes information and renderings of what it claims to be an "iPhone nano".
It is the same height as the just release Nano but wider and thicker and with the same iPhone 3G contours.
iPhone "nano" rumors have persisted for some time with speculation that Apple could introduce a smaller/cheaper version of the iPhone. The site claims the product will be announced at Macworld San Francisco 2009. iDealsChina, however, has a very mixed track record. In August, it passed off renderings of knock-off iPod clones as the real thing and also claimed that the new iPod Touch would have GPS (it did not). The site, however, did previously have access to Griffin case moldings that appeared to be real. The sizes could correlate with smaller touch screen photographs that iLounge published in June.

If Apple were to introduce a smaller sized iPhone, it would not likely be compatible with any of the App Store apps due to difference in screen size and resolution. This fact has led many to doubt that Apple would make such a move.

Otherwise, the rumor mill has been uncharacteristically quiet in the lead in to Macworld San Francisco which kicks off on January 5th, 2009. Also unusual is that at this late date, IDG has not yet announced that Steve Jobs will be hosting the expo's keynote speech.

Article Link: iPhone Nano Rumors Revived in Otherwise Quiet Lead-in to Macworld

Bonte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
The screen looks only a bit smaller, maybe this is the new model iPhone. Companioned with a nice tablet iPod would make it perfect. :)

Comment

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Even if the nano is not the same resolution, that may not stop apple from making one. The might update xcode to prep two version of an app. One at reguar resolution and one at nano resolution. Some apps might "one click" prep to the nano resolution but other might take a little longer.

Or they could make it the same resolution somehow.

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I would guess this is a leak from accessory makers but they don't get to see the new products, only updated existing models. Seems to me this would be an update for the basic iPhone, not a nano. Especially if it has the same resolution.

Comment

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
many screens of equal size to the iphone have a much denser pixel ratio. its totally possible to match the pixels of the iphone in a smaller screen as long as screens of that size are produced somewhere.

Comment

labrats5

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Please, kill this rumor right now.

I don't believe this for a second. Half the apps in the store would be rendered unusable due to the smaller screen. This is the sort of thing that gives developers nightmares. The App store has emerged as the iphone's #1 killer feature. Breaking thousands of apps, causing endless customer confusion and pissing off their developers (just as serious alternate platforms are emerging) is the absolute last thing Apple would want to do.

C'mon, everyone loves a good rumor, but we are better than this.

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I don't believe this for a second. Half the apps in the store would be rendered unusable due to the smaller screen. This is the sort of thing that gives developers nightmares. The App store has emerged as the iphone's #1 killer feature. Breaking thousands of apps, causing endless customer confusion and pissing off their developers (just as serious alternate platforms are emerging) is the absolute last thing Apple would want to do.

What would be the problem if it has the same speed and screen resolution?

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I don't see why a smaller screen couldn't have the same resolution as the old larger screen. After all, it's been a couple years.

This could perhaps be a new iPod nano, following the touch, though they were just updated to it does seem a little premature.

The spot at the bottom for the presumably home button, looks too small.

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I don't see why a smaller screen couldn't have the same resolution as the old larger screen. After all, it's been a couple years.

This could perhaps be a new iPod nano, following the touch, though they were just updated to it does seem a little premature.

The spot at the bottom for the presumably home button, looks too small.

It couldn't be the iPod nano because of the upper cut for the speaker (if real anyway)

Comment

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I doubt this is true but if it is I really hope they don't change the screen resolution or reduce the performance, it's just going to be more of a pain in the ass for consumers if they do.

Personally I wouldn't want a much smaller screen than I have on my iPhone now, even if the resolution was the same.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No. It ain't gonna happen.

Anyone who cares can search my history for the many, many times I've explained why.

The short version: There doesn't seem to be any advantage for APPLE in this idea. Anything that doesn't pass that simple test ain't gonna get far.

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Can't see it either. The iPhone at the moment is just the right size, anything smaller with the same interface would be awkward to use with your fingers, and there is no way Steve would allow an Apple product to ship with a stylus nowadays.

Comment

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Yeah. And my name is Bob Marly.

This would be so unlike apple i think. They've just released a new ipod touch, why would they release another, and in that sort space of time too...

Plus all the apps are rendered for the current iphone and touches screen...
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
MEH!

-Sam:apple::apple:

Comment

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It wouldn't hurt if the iPhone is smaller, but Apple only cares about making thin products, not products that have too short a length and width to be useful. The iPhone isn't a bad size, so I don't see why such an awkward, tiny device is needed. I don't even know what you'd do with it. It looks like it's half the size (surface area) of the current iPhone, and around 33% shorter in length. It would be another one of those tiny phones made 7 years ago that never caught on. If smaller is what most people wanted from their phone, then mobile phones would be smaller today.

....and there is no way Steve would allow an Apple product to ship with a stylus nowadays.

My new Nokia 5800 came with a stylus, and it's incredibly useful at times. If I don't want to use it, I don't take it out of its slot.

The handwriting system is also VERY good on my phone, which is great if you aren't using the Romanized alphabet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.