iphone nav with aftermarket headunit?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dan96max, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dan96max macrumors newbie

Looking to pickup a new headunit for my car. How does the nav work on an aftermarket headunit? I have both TomTom and Navigon apps. Will it play audio over the speakers via bluetooth or is that only phone calls? Will i get nav over the speakers when it's plugged in via usb?

I'm looking at this kenwood

Thanks!

2. Drakdaddy macrumors member

Oh yes, they will play over the speakers. I just installed my Kenwood a week ago, and it has been nothing short of awesome!

3. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

It'll play the turn by turn instructions over the headunit? over bluetooth or via usb?

Which kenwood did you end up going with?

4. Drakdaddy macrumors member

The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994

Obviously not as good as the one that you want, but it plays everything through the speakers when it is hooked up through USB. I havent tried bluetooth yet, though

5. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice thanks! The screen sold me on the BT900 otherwise I probably wouldn't bother changing what I have. The kenwood I have is pretty functional, just doesn't do iphones at all for some reason and it's purplish screen is really hard to see during the day.

6. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

i forgot one other thing, your still able to use the controls on the phone while it's plugged in obviously right? so you can use the nav apps. This is the first head unit i've tried connecting any apple product to, thats why I ask.

7. jamesr242 macrumors member

Yeah, you can still use all the other functions because of the multitasking. I have a panasonic HU with the navigon app, FYI.

8. Silenthillnight macrumors member

I have an Excelon KDC-X693 and it works well with the phone. It also goes through USB though. I thought about the 993 but I didn't think I wanted bluetooth at the time. Oh well.

9. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I have an eclipse cd5030 and yes through USB everything works perfect. As for Bluetooth it works as long as the HU supports BT audio. I think BT audio sounds like dung so I disabled it and use use only.

10. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

are you using an iphone 4? I'm wondering if the kenwood cable will fit with an iphone bumper.

11. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

I got a chance to hit the local audio store today. They had the KIV-700 on display but had no audio hooked up to it. I plugged the phone in via usb and it read my music fine. I had the nav app open and no sound was coming from the iphone speakers so I can only assume it was being sent through the headunit.

The KDC-X994 actually supports full audio over bt which they told me not all kenwoods do that. I ordered it anyway. If the KDC models work fine I can only hope this KIV-BT900 will play the voice commands.

I emailed kenwood and they told me the 3gs only passes ipod audio to the headunit. but they also said nothing was really tested with the iphone 4 and updated softwares. They also mentioned an external nav and how to hook that up so not really sure if they understood my question.

12. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Not so much help but if they have one out the allows you to upgrade the firmware of the head unit it might be of value. Have a Kenwood excelon kdc-x943. When I got it played perfect with my iphone 3gs and I forgot which update on my iphone did it but the head unit would no longer control my iphone. So everything I did had to be done through the iphone except the volume. Have an ip4 now nothing has changed on the issue. Kenwood just said they had no real way of keeping head units up to date on every iphone update. Which is true but did not make me feel any better. BTW it still connects through the usb and will charge and play the music through my speakers but all song changing etc has to be done through my iphone.

13. dan96max thread starter macrumors newbie

That really sucks. This one is update able but I'm sure they only make updates for short periods of time. It's made for an iphone and has no cd player so I would assume they'd stay on top of these models.