iPhone needs a drunk mode!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BaldyUK, Sep 25, 2008.

1. BaldyUK macrumors regular

Hello chaps,

I've thought of a feature that is sadly missing from the iPhone but is badly needed.

I had an unfortunate incident last night whilst in the pub.

Having enjoyed a fair few pints of beer I decided to text the girlfriend. Unfortunately, my amorous message ended up being sent to my mother in a drunken haze. Cue my whacking the screen frantiaclly and shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Having pondered my mistake through a hangover I have reached the following conclusion:

The iPhone needs a drunk mode. You press a button which activates the following features -

It bars certain people from your contacts list preventing you from texting or calling them. These are predefined by the user in the settings. They may include your parents, ex-girlfriends and your boss. I'm sure a 3am phone call to your boss may sound like a good idea at the time but probably doesn't in the cold light of day.

Drunk mode cannot be turned off. A pre-set timer for maybe 4,6,8,or 12 hours starts counting down from the start of 'Drunk Mode' and only when the timer reaches the end of it's count can you text your ex etc. This count cannot be cancelled by any means - not even by the incredibly strong drunken urge to text your ex at 2am with a declaration of undying love that you will regret exactly 2 second after you wake up in the morning.

That is it for now. Feel free to add any features to Drunk Mode :apple:

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

1) Don't be a twat while bar-hopping.

3) Turn of the iPhone and have another pint.

4) All of the above.

3. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Good idea. I have a slightly more technical feature/app along similar lines but which is not exclusively for drunken people. I'm not disclosing it yet in case I ever get to develop it - of course I have to learn how to program first.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't know about a must-have feature but it would certainly make a pound or two as a novelty App.

:D

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

OK, my last helpful suggestion. Set your calendar/clock to beep every 45 minutes and say: Drink some coffee mate.

6. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

perhaps an app and dongle for breathalyser which phones a taxi over a certain limit.
    Or phones your mates automatically at chucking out time for the post pub punch up?

or reminds you at regular intervals that the girl you are chatting up is not as attractive as you think she is.

7. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

what about a cancel button when sending txt msgs. that is one thing i miss from my old phone. Being able to cancel a txt as its being sent.

8. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I managed to do this when I ws texting a friend with the same first name as my boss to tell him I had a job interview at a competitor. I did it by pressing the sleep button as it was sending (it was on a 1st gen). I havent tried it since. I've been a bit more careful!!!!;)

EDIT: Just tried it on my 3G. Didnt work. Maybe I just struck lucky before.

9. iDanielle macrumors member

Do not drink and text! I have a problem with sending people the wrong message even when I'm sober. I try to forget my phone is in my pocket/bag when I'm drinking. Nothing good ever comes from having it out. lol

10. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

OP - you must, I repeat *MUST*, post the full text of the original message to your mom, intended for your girlfriend. This is too funny, you could become an internet legend if the text is dirty enough.

Also, I agree with your idea. It's impossible under the current SDK agreement, but it's a great idea for all mobile devices. Seriously, you should patent it if no one else has thought of it.

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I like it....!

Lock out the contacts that you dont want to send anything to while you are sober and put in a timer that will countdown until the next day before you can access it again. The only problem with that is what if you end up in the hospital and cant contact anyone because you locked them all out.

Still, a good idea....go with it!

Or, leave the phone at home....thats what I do. Sometimes. :cool:

12. iphonecode macrumors member

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

What a great idea! I'm game, might come in handy once in a while :D!

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

Your "amorous message" eh? My imagination is running wild as to what that could have been. Is your mother still not talking to you since this incident?? :D

15. dominordelingua macrumors member

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!

16. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

And your point is? That you know how to copy-paste? Nice.

OP: That's a great idea. I would love to have the "Drunk Mode".

17. quikadanquik macrumors member

Well at least we know he isnt on an iPhone right now

18. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

LOL! Best post I've read today. :p

Edit: Matter fact, the best post I've read in a looong time.

19. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

One new year a friend of mine had told me he was getting a new phone and would text me so that I had his number. I got the text a while later and all it said was. 'this is my new number'

I saved it under his name and a couple of days later sent him a text saying 'happy new year b*llb*g'

the only resposne I got was 'b*llb*g?'

I started to wonder a bit so phoned him up. Turns out it was my mum had also got a new number and was rather confused as to why I would call my own mother a b*llb*g. Took a lot of grovelling to sort that one out

Not quite as good as your story but my friends still laugh about my mishap

20. BaldyUK thread starter macrumors regular

:D:D:D

21. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Should Forums have a drunk mode?

Matt, if you are reading this you are a tw*t

oops......