iPhone needs a screen protector? 11 months and only very small scracth.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diegobgr, May 28, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi.

I have an iPhone 3G since July.

I only carry it in a soft case, like Apple Socks.

I haven't been worried about scratches and things til last week when I saw a very small scrath on screen. It's difficult to see even with screen off. With screen on it is just invisible.

I am a bit worried now, but I think is't normal. It's just a mobile phone.

My sister has an iPod Touch since 1 year and 6 months, and it's the same. Only one or two very small scratches. Invisible with screen on.

I think that I read that iPhone screen was very good against scratches. What do you think?

2. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

is it true that apple stopped selling these
    [​IMG]

this is hands down the best screen protector i have ever owned for any phone that i have ever owned

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I got my 3GS right after launch last summer and immediately got just an incase slider case but no screen protector. A year later, the screen is perfect and there are just a couple small scratches on the back where dust got between the case and the phone.

I have talked to a bunch of people recently that always complain about how dirty their screens are and how hard it is to see stuff. They look at my phone and are amazed at how clean and clear the screen is. And then we realize the difference is that I don't have a thick, dirty piece of plastic between me and the gorgeous glass and they do.

I honestly don't think it is worth a screen protector. I don't plan on getting one for my new iPhone when I get it in a few weeks.:D

4. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I have had all of the iPhones and not once have I had one scratch on the screen unless I dropped it on the asphalt. I do not use cases for my iPhones either.

For my iPad, the same story goes. No scratches on the front and no case. When I start my new job, I will be getting The Wallet case by Happy Owl Studios though.

5. Skinfaxi macrumors member

I'm coming up on two years with my naked 3g, the screen is still nearly flawless. The back is a different story.

6. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

when i go to sell the phone which i always do when i decide to buy another i like to advertise it as like new condition. so i use a case (incase slider) and i use screen protectors.

7. jess127 macrumors member

I have the 2g and have always had the incase slider and screen protector since I bought it.. have had 3 and all 3 were in perfect shape.. I wouldn't not use the screen protector because its a $600 dollar phone.. not just "another phone" so better safe then sorry. If i get a small scratch id be pissed so I rather prevent it :D:apple:

8. jess127 macrumors member

I agree, but they are so over priced... I bought 5 screen protectors for 5 dollars on ebay.. against the 20 dollar on 2 at apple... Of course the one at apple is perfect to apply and also to stay but really... who cares. id rather save 9 dollars

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm with the OP I had a 1st gen iPod Touch for about a year before I put a screen protector on it but even then it was just because it came with a case.

My 3G I had I never was concerned about screen protector, I got one with a review case which was a mirrored anti-glare and was an awful experience

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

I don't use a screen protector to protect the screen so much as I use it to change the glossy screen into a matte screen and to resist the oils from skin.

11. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

This.

I've tried various cases and covers simply to protect the back - for resale value really. I've never had a problem with scratches on my screen though.

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I've every iPhone that has been released and I've NEVER had a scratch on any of the screens...only the rear housing

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've said it before ad I'll say it again; if you put a case on your phone, you're not using it correctly.

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I used to use the antiglare one because of fingerprints. Ever since they made the screens oleophobic, no screen protectors since. My screen is extremely flawless and my back is pristine. Maybe because I had a white iPhone so the back cannot be seen as scratched as the black one.

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I realised a while back that the glass was more scratch resistant than the back so I stupidly decided to place the phone face down from then on. I've since stopped but there are some small scratches around the edges, nothing major and nowhere near as bad as the back. I don't think it needs a screen protector if you don't mind the fingerprints.

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

IMO regardless of scratch resistant glass or not, I'd put a protector on it.

The body though.... I don't really care, as long as the screen is scratch free, the rest does not matter.