iphone needs improvement of essential functions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ingofast, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ingofast macrumors newbie

While the new features that Apple introduced for the iPhone with its system software update 1.1.3 are certainly all good ideas, particularly in further establishing the device as a multifunctional internet platform, it's difficult to comprehend why the company, perfectionist as its beautifully engineered products appear, is still forgoing to address but the three in my opinion most essential issues that would make the iPhone a better device and also more competitive with other PDAs - and thus sway potential buyers' minds who are looking to use their phone not only as web portals but also as digital organizers - especially as it's probably relatively easy to fix these shortcomings:

a) Putting the iPhone to use as an email device at least moderately if not heavily (particularly downloading, or "popping" emails) confronts the user with the annoying task having to empty its trash can by selecting each individual message separately and then deleting it because there is no option to empty the trash can all at once. An additional "empty trash" button (like the "clear recents" option on the call log page) would significantly improve email functionality.

b) In the same area, it would be extremely helpful for the iPhone to offer a way to highlight text and delete (as well as copy and paste) in order to customize emails (and perhaps text messages). Such functions are among the most essential needed in text editing, and would clearly help the iPhone to become a better tool for those who need to create, edit, and send email and text messages.

c) What is still mind-boggling is that the country list within the phone's address book (contacts) is still, seven months after the initial release, limited to some sixty countries out of nearly two hundred that exist in the world. Shouldn't the iPhone be wordlier than being limited to owners in a select number of countries? Should the user of an iPhone not be able to include friends or family in his or her contact list from countries other than the ones chosen by Apple? Are Egypt and South Africa the only countries in Africa, does Latin America comprise of only Mexico, Argentina and Brazil? This must be at the least offensive to nationals of the hundred forty or so countries not mentioned in the iPhone's country list.

It would be helpful for the owner of an iPhone to find improvements across the spectrum - not only in its usability as a web portal, but also in respect to the most simple and essential day-to-day functions.

2. drb6 macrumors regular

Wow, very well written post. I thought I was reading a position paper ;)

But seriously though, I agree with you that the iPhone still has a long way to go to what it can become. But from Apple's perspective, and for the industry, I can see that it was really a huge accomplishment to combine three separate devices into that form factor with a touch screen.

It's only the first version. Now that they've got the hardware side conquered, I'm sure further revisions will focus on making it a much more robust tool. The framework is in place now.

3. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I think the accomplishment is not combining 3 devices into one. That's been done before. The accomplishment was combining them in a way where each function is just as good or better than if it were 3 seperate devices.

What has bugged me about convergence is that usually the quality of the individual components suffer. Not so on the iPhone IMHO.

4. drb6 macrumors regular

Oh I didn't realize there had been products like this already. I know there have been phone/pda ones that maybe have a bit of memory for music but not enough to be used as a full time mp3 player. And I can't say I've had first hand experience about the iPhone, but when it was released, many of the reviews did mention the poor call quality.

And listening to people on this board, it seems Apple does have a bit of work before making it excellent in all departments. SDK will help a lot here too. Of course we have to ignore those requests that ask for everything but the kitchen sink.

5. camarobh macrumors 6502

What is it you hope to accomplish by posting to this forum? We all know there are things we would love the iPhone to be able to do. It does what it does, nothing more, nothing less. If it isn't for you, don't buy it.

6. Noumenon macrumors regular

That would be like rejecting the constitution because an 'i' wasn't dotted. Nothing wrong with pointing out obvious if not bizarre oversights. The iPhone is not just another cool phone,.. it's a platform which will develope much further in time,... it's still relatively young.

7. biffstephens macrumors newbie

AND the most important thing you should keep in mind....IS that Apple is actually doing something about it....every release has has something in it....mmost smartphone users get 1 update every few years and nothing changes that you can see.....

Apple adds things to every release....so it will for sure get better so life is good!!!

Oh and the Iphone is the only Apple product I own....but I am THINKING about it..........

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It needs to work.. This latest release sucks, and thats putting it lightly. I just came home plugged in my iPhone only to have iPhoto see my photos fine, but iTunes is telling me it can't read it and to do a full restore.

I am sick and tired of the shoddy rushed firmware updates, either get it right or just delay the damn release..

Edit, and now it won't even restore..

I am growing tired of the iPhone and its crappy firmware.... I have had nothing but issues since 1.1.3

Edit 2: A hub that the phone wasn't connected to seemed to cause this? I disconnected the hub and it synched. I still don't get how a device that the iPhone wasn't connected to can cause this but meh. iPhone is direct connected to my MBP, yet.. i give up.. never had this issue till i updated to 1.1.3... hub stays disconnected i supposed since the iPhone is so sensitive.

Attached Files:

9. biffstephens macrumors newbie

Dude,

You just need to sell your phone. You and it will better off.