iPhone needs restart to switch from WiFi to Edge

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blakebaxter, Aug 25, 2008.

1. blakebaxter macrumors newbie

Whenever I leave a WiFi network, I need to restart my iPhone in order for it to successfully start using the Edge network again. Five bars and the little E show that I am connected to Edge, however, without the restart, the iPhone simply doesn't connect to anything (Mail, Safari, Contacts/ActiveSync Directory search). The little circle spins and spins, the phone heats up, and the battery drains quickly as it continually attempts to negotiate network access.

Once I restart it, Edge is back to normal (meaning painfully slow, but working). I jump on Wifi several times a day, so I am restarting my iPhone several times a day. This started happening recently, I think with either the 2.0 or 2.01 udpate.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. blakebaxter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Reset is what I've been doing. I may take the further step of restoring the phone entirely.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you might try turning airplane mode off and on, it should be quicker than a full reset.

Not really a solution to the problem, but it might make it a bit less annoying.

5. pabrognara macrumors newbie

Hi

I am also facing exactly the same problem as the opener of this thread was. The only difference is the device which is the Iphone 4 and IOS 5.0. If someone has the solution pls write here, coz I´ve just tried everything (except restoring the Iphone) without any success.