iPhone 6(S)(+) iphone needs screen replacement?

jasonfodor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
My Iphone 6 just quit working out of the blue once I upgraded to an 8 and stopped using it for a week. Bought a replacement battery but it didn’t work (probably was a defective battery). Bought a second battery and I got it to turn on, but the screen has werid white lines, see image.

I replaced an iphone 5 battery the first time without any issue, but I didn’t unplug the screen, for this iphone 6 I did unplug the screen.

(1) is there something unplugged that I can fix (not sure if you can tell by the picture)? I tried making sure every thing was secure plugged in. Not sure if I need to retry plugging everything in or if I damaged a cable in the battery replacement process and the screen needs to be replaced

(2) is there a way to hook this up to say a macbook to read the screen without using the iphone’s screen? Just want to get a few pics off the phone and resell it.

(3) screens are fairly cheap on ebay. I think $25 for the whole unit and $15 without the camera and home buttons. Is the repair easy if I buy a screen without the camera/home button and use the camera/home button off my old screen? Or should I just opt for the whole unit that includes a new camera/home button and screen?

https://imgur.com/a/kyAR8CH

supergt

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
The first step would be to open the phone, disconnect the battery, and make sure the display cables are all firmly in place. If the screen still displays lines it is faulty and needs to be replaced. There are lots of cheap screens on amazon. It’s not super complicated and can be done in 1-2 hours with proper tools and patience. These screens usually are poor in quality but should get the job done to transfer data off the phone. You will also have to take the home button and move it to the unit or you will lose Touch ID. I suggest the ifixit display replacement as it is higher quality and includes the tools.

maxjohnson2

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2017
For this model particularly it's not too difficult. There are plenty of guide videos on youtube.

I don't have good experience buying replacement screen from ebay (for obvious reasons really), most of the time they will not be original which means the screen won't be as bright or colorful.

I order phone parts from etradesupply. They sell a mix of original and third party parts. Parts labeled "S+" is supposed to be original. You also want to make sure you get the ones available shipped from US. I do not have experience with returning orders with them so far.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
None of those cheap parts are genuine and you can tell. It doesn’t seem as crisp as the apple ones. I’d bite the bullet and get a genuine one.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
My advice would be do not purchase the cheapest display, as you will receive cheap quality results, (Assuming as you’re fine with that). Also, be very careful with the flex cables, as that’s the number one thing that most users encounter that they inadvertently damage, which will render the display useless in the middle of the repair.