Iphone Network Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by crl21, Sep 12, 2008.

1. crl21 macrumors newbie

I've setup an ad hoc Wi-Fi network with my macbook and I've connected my iphone to the Wi-Fi network. The problem is that the iphone insists on being on the 3G or Edge network rather than the Wi-Fi network. If I go into network settings it says it's connected and at full strength, but at the same time it says 3G in the top left hand corner. I know it's not on the network because I can't find it on the network from my macbook using the app Air Sharing. If I turn off 3G it will revert to the ad hoc network for a second and then proceed to edge. Any ideas? This is very frustrating.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If it doesn't have internet access, it will failover to EDGE or 3G trying to get one. Either enable Internet Sharing in your Sharing Preference Pane, or remove your SIM.

TEG

3. crl21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton. That did the trick. Just need to enable internet sharing.

4. crl21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke to soon. It's still reverting to 3G or Edge. It stayed connected longer this time, but after a minute it switched back and won't stay on the network.

5. KenAllen07 macrumors member

I had the same problem when I was tethering. Stay off of internet sharing, it didn't work for me but other ways did.