iPhone Network Security?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by byziphone4, Aug 9, 2011.

1. byziphone4 macrumors member

How secure is the iPhone 4 on a public network? For instance, one example would be..I work for a company in which the IT department is able to view what we have on our screens for every computer. If I log into this network over wifi, could they view what is on my iPhone 4 screen?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe they can see what site's you're visiting using their Wifi and other details about your browsing.

3. byziphone4 thread starter macrumors member

Are you serious? That is scary!!!

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

its their network, they can manage it as they please. If you are worried abt what you are viewing, use 3G

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Why is that scary? Like Carl G35c says it's their network their rules. They can see any traffic they want.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I do not believe they can see what you have on your screen. However, they can track what URLs you are going to on their wifi network, and also what IP/host (your iphone) is going to said sites.
    If its questionable, use 3G.

7. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

At the college where I work, in the comptuer labs, the instructor station has software installed that I can use to control the student's workstations. I can either just view a thumbnail of what they are doing, or I can take control of the workstation and use my mouse and keyboard to control their computer. I can also configue what sites they can and cannot go to, power the computer on and off and blank all of their screens. However, they all have to be on the same network and each of the workstations has the workstation version of the software installed on them.

I wouldn't think that just being on their wireless network would allow them to see your screen, but they could VERY easily track the URL's you are visiting. Since it is their network, you agree to their rules when you use it.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Nothing scary at all... it's their network, they can do whatever they want with it.
    You can be monitored on ANY WiFi network you use. ;)

Even your home WiFi network can be tapped and monitored if you have it configured poorly.

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

My elementary school had some kind of thing like this, but it never seemed to work (my teacher tried it) to no avail. I guess they gave up on it.

10. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

That is why WPA2 encryption with MAC address filtering rules!

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Viewing some lesbians at work, eh? It happens.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

WPA2 is a good idea.
    Stay away from WEP... it's simple base 64 and pretty easy to crack.

MAC filtering isn't worth the effort to maintain the list.
    With all the sniffing tools out there, it's not that hard to sniff a network and then spoof a working MAC address.
    Remember, the pre-authorization for a connection is sent in the clear.
    This data packet includes the MAC address.
    Anyone with a WiFi sniffer can log your router traffic and spot when a valid address is accepted by the router.

Use WPA2 with a quality pass phrase. Nobody has cracked that... yet. ;)