iPhone nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghostshadow777, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Please visit http://iphonenightmare.com/

Unite and fight for your right to a functional and unlocked phone, even if you modded your phone.

2. Chakalaka macrumors member

It's a shame that your unmodded phone crapped out with the 1.1.1 but why are you fighting the rights to unlocking and modifying if you haven't done any of those things to your bricked phone?

3. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

I am not the blogger, I just don't feel it's fair to brick a purchased product, modded or unmodded. Just showing support and hopefully more attention.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Right, so you joined today and have only posted in here. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Have not read your blog cause you don't have any fundamental rights to mod an iPhone. Get over it.

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Well put Fanboy

7. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Anyways, I don't like what Apple is doing here with the iPhone when it comes to third party apps and unlocking. I don't agree with their stance, particularly with 3rd party apps. I do however understand (Don't agree) there stance on unlocking as it (most likely) is taking money out of their pockets, and probably under contract to AT&T to do so as well.

I think they could handle it a better way, with the worst being that an update "restores" you to an "unsullied" iPhone.

This is coming from someone who has NOT hacked his phone and didn't feel a compelling reason to do so, for the most part. There are a few things I would like added and if Apple won't or can't, think they should let 3rd parties do it for them.

I don't like calling people out, but everytime I see a post from you its to bash someone as a fanboy. :confused: Why are you here, this is basically an Apple enthusiast site? :confused:

Anyways, that is all...

8. b1NARY73 macrumors newbie

b1NARY73

I hacked my iPhone because I am happy with Tmobile, never drop a call, excellent Customer service, great rates and have never had a problem with them once. I had cingular / AT&T for 2 weeks, dropped well over 25 calls, and was hassled when I called to cancel my service becuase I dropped the call while I was talking to the CS rep, had to call back and start all over and explain again, and get hassled. They have crap Customer service, over priced plans, you name it....so yeah, I am a happy t-mobile customer with an iPhone, and smart enough to not download an update and brick my phone. I hate that Apple has taken this approach, but I think they will eventually come to their senses, and let the phone be unlocked...we shall see.

9. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

If they allowed this so easily then these "exclusivity" deals would be pointless, unless you are Verizon or Sprint.

You made your choice, you knew the risks, and your content. Everyone else who is "fighting" this is an idiot. Plain and simple.

10. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

You can call me any name you want mpuck. It doesn't change the reality of the situation. The only thing that will is if Apple changes its mind about 3rd party apps. Whining and name calling doesn't change a thing. Now if iPhone sales fell off because of the lack of 3rd party apps........

This article sums it up pretty well.

11. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Well put, w*nker.

-Leemo

12. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Unlucky, my unlocked iPhone is working amazingly :D

13. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

I am sorry , I have to disagree. I bought a product, I can do whatever I want with it, including soaking it in kerosene and throwing it in my fireplace, let along mod it to make it more useful. Now, of course it's up to Apple to decide if they will tolerate it, it's well within their rights. I just don't agree with their decision, that's all. So are plenty of other people.

14. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Good for you, man! You are damn lucky, 4 sure.

15. iphonenightmare macrumors newbie

Just to clarify...

As ghostshadow777 stated already, He is not the owner of the site, I am.

While I totally disagree with apples stance on modified or unlocked phones, my site relates to my situation of my unmodifed phone being bricked by the 1.1.1 update.

If you are in a similar situation as me, please feel free to contact me:
    iphonenightmare@gmail.com

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's spelled fanboi.

You haven't been here long have you? The obligatory fanboi insult in every thread has to have the word spelled like that.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Whilst you don't agree with Apple's strategy here, you do understand that they couldn't leave this route into the iPhone that let apps run as user 'root' don't you?

You must also realise that AT&T and Apple have a business agreement and Apple not doing this possibly breaches the terms of this agreement.

Apple need to open the iPhone up properly not in this raggedy accidental way. As 1.1.1 is likely to be jailbroken soon Apple can't afford to have stragglers not updating their iPhones. That is also a security risk.

18. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

To a certain degree I understand Apple's decision to brick phones that are not on ATT's network. My story is a bit different.

Before activating my phone with AT&T, I unlocked it and used it on my existing T-mobile account for about a week because I was waiting for my ATT family account to be setup, and I wanted to play with the iPhone, it was just too tempting. After about a week, I restored the phone to 1.02 and activated with AT&T and hadn't put any 3rd party applications on it and wasn't planning to. Then on Sept. 29 my phone returned the "incorrect SIM" error message after I attempted to update to 1.11. Now I am sitting on a completely useless $400 piece of product, I can't even continue to use my phone on ATT's network. What's the justice in that?

How about giving people a second chance? At least allowing them the ability to use their phones on AT&T network, even if they had modified their phones before.

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Can't say I disagree with that tbh.

20. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Yes Jimmy, sometimes the choices we make in life have actual consequences.

21. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Oh Bob, I thought that only applies to murderers.

22. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

You can use it as a hammer for all Apple cares. Just don't expect support for your misuse!

23. ghostshadow777 thread starter macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Have you ever taken apart your RC car when you were 8, just to see how things work? No? I didn't think so.

Sit! Roll over! Good boy.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

My guess is that the hackers will have a way for you to unbrick your phone in a few more days, maybe a week or so.

As far as Apple's concerned, my guess is that they consider that big, bold warning (that said any modifications may brick your phone) that you had to click thru in order to update to 1.1.1 as your second chance.

I don't agree that they're not fixing 'stock' phones that bricked during the upgrade, if that's really the case.

25. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Actually rebuilt many things much more complex, as a little kid. And destroyed some of them on the way. What does that have to do with anything??