iPhone Nike+ Software Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bowens, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I was just thinking, the iPhone has an accelerometer in it already. Could they just release Nike+ software after 2.0 and have it work like the Nike+ kit for the Nano? I'm not sure exactly how it would work without the attachment but I think it could be possible.

2. tuneman07 macrumors regular

The accelerometer has to go in your shoe so I doubt you would want to put your phone in your shoe. The kit is only 30 bucks though I would buy it today if it worked for Ipod touch. I really wish Apple would stop trying to milk the nano and let those of us who paid 400 bucks for a touch/iphone access this awesome kit. I guess expecting Apple not to try and stick it to people is asking a bit much though.

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

The only reason it is for the iPod nano only is that it is very small and lightweight and can easily fit on someone's arm. :) An iPhone or iPod touch is to big and heavy to be used for running.

4. tuneman07 macrumors regular

lol to say that the IPT or Iphone are too big for running is a bit ridiculous. I am about 250 pounds and jog several miles on a regular basis. I am pretty sure I could handle that massive 2 ounce Ipod touch on my arm. And BTW why not let me decide if the Ipod touch is too big? Why does Apple insist on telling me I need to drop another 200 on a nano because my Ipod touch is just too heavy?

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well I weigh 160 lbs, and I would say anything other than a nano or Shuffle is to big to run with. Not to mention an iPod Touch/ iPhone would be really hard to change songs on while running.

6. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I find it pretty tough to believe someone would find the touch too heavy or big for running. You strap it to your arm the thing weighs 4.2 ounces- I really hope this isn't the reason the software isn't out for the touch. I run with the touch all the time and so do many others, heck I ran with the old walkmans back in the day those things must have weighed close to a pound at least.

7. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Try running 12 miles with the iPod touch and then tell me it is not to heavy... :cool:

8. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

It's not necessary for the accelerometer to go in your shoe. Many pedometers clip onto your belt.

In fact, Sportbrain was a belt pedometer which in many ways was the predecessor to the Nike+ system. It was more accurate, was always on, enabled users to see their daily activity, and rewarded users with gifts for accomplishing certain goals. For instance, for walking/running 20,000 steps a day for a month you'd get a PDA. It also interfaced with a heart monitor so you could graph your heart rate over the course of a day with your physical activity. To upload information you'd drop it into a dock and it would dial out using the phone line, the way most TiVo's used to work.

Sadly, Sportbrain went out of business in the dotcom bust. They briefly resurfaced as a paid service but it never took off again. I wish Nike would acquire the technology and incorporate it into Nike+. But their desire to sell overpriced sneakers with slots for the sensor will probably keep such technology away from consumers.

I spoke too soon- Sportbrain is still in business.

http://www.sportbrain.com

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't really agree with that. I've been running and hiking with a 16gb iPod Touch and in the end it didn't feel much different to having a Nano or Shuffle. Infact an iPhone would be much better since I could then drop my Razr.

As soon as the SDK was announced I thought somebody might bring us a pedometer app. Even if it isn't 100% accurate it would be great to know approximately how far I've travelled in a hike, how many calories lost etc.

10. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I have run a half marathon with an Ipod classic strapped to my arm- when you are running that far believe me the Ipod on your arm is the last thing on your mind. Not to mention I don't usually run 13 miles, generally keep my runs under 6 or 7 on my long days. I don't dispute that for you guys a touch might feel too heavy but for many people they run with it all the time- I just want the software it seems like it would be a very easy thing to do especially with the SDK out now.

As for the older style hip pedometers I have always had bad results with those- maybe because I am a bigger guy at over 6'2" tall and 250 pounds. The calories burned, distances, speeds have always been pretty far off but this shoe thing sounds like it would be a lot more accurate.

One thing is for sure I have already spent 300 on an Ipod classic, 400 on a touch, theres no way I'm dropping 200 because Apple has deemed those too heavy to run with.

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i run 10 miles a week with my touch in my pocket of my shorts. never been a problem. i make a work out playlist for the week and then i know i won't have to change songs while i run. my ipod in my pocket has never been a problem, you forget that its in there. too big...i don't think so..im only 5-10" about 140, not too big for me

12. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i worked out with my iphone and no problems at all. anyway i also wanted to use this and it's stupid that it doesn't work with the iphone. so i actually found a real good deal on second hand nano just so i could track my runs. $75 in new condition with a 2year extended warranty. not bad.

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

people need to stop making generalizations.
    How heavy something is on one arms is very subjective and relative.

Let the individual decide which iPod one would enjoy for running.

14. TedB macrumors member

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Individuals can run with whatever they want. But Apple is free to make business decisions... and apparently enough runners will buy Nanos for Nike+ that they're doing just fine with their business decision... ;)

As for the idea of using the iPhone's accelerometer, I think it would get rapidly overcomplicated. I'm not sure how sensitive the accelerometer in the iPhone is, but you probably would have to extract the swinging of your arm (which, unlike the swinging of your foot, is not so strongly directly correlated with how fast you're moving) in real time, as well as the noise, and then hope that the deconvolved result is not too noisy to be completely meaningless. In contrast to just integrating the motion of the foot sensor twice, which actually does result in an accurate estimate of your change in position. So in any event it would probably still need the sensor and transmitter.

17. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Lol

You guys crack me up. I run, Snowboard, Bike, and workout with my Iphone. I have considered it bieng to large to run with just because i was worreid about slack in the band or clip from body movement but the iNcase Sport case for the Ipod touch is the absolute BEST iPhone case (I know who would have thought, iPhone in a IPT case) for running. I have ZERO movement...and to reply to above...dont change your music while youre running, CREATE A PLAYLIST! I run a half marathon Bi-weekly, and the only thing that's going to make the difference in the weight of a nano vs a IPT or iPhone, is your mind...