iPhone no button thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daleycss, Jul 1, 2011.

1. daleycss macrumors regular

Would an iphone with a larger screen be able to handle the multitouch gestures from the ipad ios 5 feature? anyone with a four inch+ screen android want to just swipe and see if it's comfortable?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. flipster macrumors 6502a

I like the button, the point of the iPhone from the beginning was that it would have only one physical main button. I like the physical button.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You know, I do too except the fact the dang button breaks so easily (or rather it gets worn out really quickly).

Personally I'd settle for a "button" that was touch sensitive but still a separate button than the screen so you could still hit it by touch but it would have the durability of a touch screen rather than a physical button.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

A touch sensitive button would always be getting false hits if in your pocket. Your screen would be constantly turning on and killing your battery.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The home button is great. I've had my phone for nearly 2 years now and never had a problem with the home button. If they were to remove it, there would be an awkward, uncomfortable transition period of transition, and I think many people would hate the lack of a physical button.

Having the option for gestures would be amazing, but not at the cost of the home button. It's simply tied to too many commands to get rid of.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

will iOS5 have multi tasking gestures for iphone?

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Uh, what?

My screen doesn't react to things when it is in my pocket... if it uses the same technology as my screen, I don't think this would be an issue at all. Well, a small issue when you reach in to get the phone (but hey, you're reaching in for it anyways so chances are you were about to use it) and you could still do the same thing with a physical button (just a little harder cause you would have to press harder).

In fact, I think it's more possible to accidentally hit the button in your pocket by random objects in your pocket and have it react with a physical button that just needs pressure vs. a capacitive one that needs the touch of your actual skin to react.

9. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I think even with a 4 or more inch screen, the gestures would be awkward.

I personally hate with every fiber of my being those awful touch sensitive buttons! They are SO inaccurate! I'm happy with my regular old home button.

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

11. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's because your screen is off. It doesn't register any touches, and will only turn on when the sleep or home Hutton (physical buttons) is pressed.

If you had the home button as a physical button, its going to get hit, and your screen will turn on.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Uh, you missed the point.

The point is the touch screen needs skin contact or special fabric to activate it. It's not going to get accidentally pressed by random objects in your pocket or even your hands if they are not *in* the pocket (and if they are, having a physical button doesn't save you there, it only makes it slightly harder to happen).

Why do you think it makes you slide the slider to turn it in (in case you accidentally press the button) or else it turns off quickly? Because they know that most likely if you accidentally press the physical button, the stuff in your pocket/purse isn't going to actually activate the screen and you are unlikely to hit the screen in that pattern accidentally.

Edit: actually, I noticed you said if you have a *physical* button. either we are actually in agreement or you meant a capacitive button/touch based button.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

First off, I'd like to say I have a 4.3" HTC HD2 and four/five finger gestures are just so awkward on that screen size. It's just too small. I love the gestures on my iPad 2 (I can't imagine not having them), but on a phone it's just weird. Also, I don't like capacitive buttons. In my opinion they look cheap and they a always getting false hits (but that could be only for me since my hands are bigger). The home button was designed to look very nice and having a physical button is just more convenient. But this is all just my own personal opinion, of course.

14. mmfy macrumors regular

I don't have a touchscreen hone (will wait to see if iPhone 4 prices drop with iphone 5) but having used my ipod touch I also hope the home button never disappears!

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well honestly I was thinking what they could do is have it indent like it does now but instead of pressing it it just senses your finger. That way you can still feel for it (and there's only one so you wouldn't accidentally hit the wrong button) but it would get the advantage of better durability of the touch screen.

Either that or apple needs to find a better quality manufacturer for their buttons cause who ever they use now, those things wear out so quick :(. I've got a replacement phone due to the button issue and it already is showing signs (but not definite enough I know for sure but it is acting like my old phone did at first). And I've had this phone for a little over a month maybe.

And what's worse is cause the only way to go back to your home screen is that button if it dies, your phone is pretty much made useless. Well except for whatver program you happen to have loaded up. Or I suppose if you want to restart the phone anytime you want to use any other app.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I couldn't imagine a button-less iPhone. What of DFU mode? I personally love the home button and sleep buttons. Maybe lose the silent switch and volume buttons but for God's sake keep the home and sleep.

17. FortMOney macrumors member

why the hell would you want to remove those?????