iPhone... no data-only plan option.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ravenvii, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I decided to start this thread because when I commented about this in other threads, people find the concept of a data-only plan so strange. They go "this is a PHONE what'd you expect?".

If the iPhone is just that, a phone, I would completely agree. However...

The iPhone has email, web browsing, google maps, iPod, and many other features which do not use voice. The only features that use voice are: the phone function and visual voicemail. That's it.

The iPhone would be a great device with a data-only plan.

The Blackberry is also considered a smartphone. It has a phone function. Yet, they allow the option of a data-only plan.

I am deaf, and would love to use the iPhone as a communication device. Watching the videos, the iPhone blows away the Blackberry, and all the other communication devices out there, such as the Sidekick and the Treo.

But to pay $60, more than half of which goes to a feature I cannot use (note that, it's not "do not want to use", it's "cannot use"), is stupid. I would gladly pay $40 per month for a data-only plan. In fact, that is what I am paying currently for my Blackberry. Why wouldn't this be an option?

Now, do you people still think the concept of a data-only plan is such of a strange concept?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

I get where you're coming from, and I too wish they'd separate the data and voice plans so you can pick and choose what you want.

Is there no way you could contact AT&T about it?

3. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Not at all. I think you should write to AT&T Customer Service and Apple Customer Service. I truly think they'd be interested in what you have to say.

I'd also go to one of those stores and ask for a manager/customer service. Let it be known that these plans do not suit your needs, and that you'd be more than willing to pay for something that does.

4. greymouser macrumors newbie

You have to admit that you are in a fairly rare circumstance, as far as iphone users go.

I don't know of any hearing purchasers who would want a data-only iphone. After all, I'm going to lug this thing around in my pocket; why have another phone in my pocket when this is a do-it-all solution? I already carry my ipod almost everywhere I go, so I think of it as getting rid of my phone and getting internet connectivity for a smaller ipod song capacity. Well worth it.

For you and the hearing impaired crowd a data only plan makes sense, but not for many other users.

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

You may be able to get a dispensation to only use a data plan on the iPhone if you communicate with the right person at AT&T. I'm sure making the case for being deaf and having no use for the feature would be a compelling reason to get a higher up to try to void the requirement.

Try sending an email to one of the executive's offices. The addresses should be available on a site like www.theconsumerist.com.

6. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

I think that the iPhone could be a great communicator for all kinds of people. Imagine the possibilities for communication between the hearing impaired and those that don't sign. Take out the iPhone, type a message, show a video, show pictures, type more messages, etc. A portable computer like the iPhone could ease that communication barrier a lot.

7. yayaba macrumors 6502

Like others have said, your case is not the general case for AT&T customers. I think if you speak with a manager or higher up about your situation, they should be able to work something out.

I don't think many people would want to carry around the iPhone plus another phone device as that would get rather bulky.

8. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

In your case, I would try to talk to as many people high up as you can. They might be able to make an exception in your case.

If that all fails, just write to the board of directors of AT&T and explain your story. Tell them you will go to the press and complain how they are discriminating against you. Good chance, that might change their tune.

If that still doesn't work ... well ... thats up to you how far you want to take it :D

9. rosy621 macrumors newbie

I am not hearing impaired, and I would love a data only plan for the iPhone. I used to be an AT&T/Cingular customer. For quite a few years. And in my area, their voice service is awful. Dropped calls are the norm. But I never had a trouble with data. So I want to keep my Alltel phone for voice, but would love an iPhone for my business data needs. I think it's something AT&T should consider.

10. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I was kinda depressed on this. I didn't want to spend the extra cash on a data plan and was convinced it would be optional but alas in the end I was wrong. Luckily it fell within my realm of affordability.

11. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I echo the suggestions that you contact someone at AT&T. Maybe work out an argreement where you get back full credit for the voice plan for each month where the minutes used is less than 50 (to allow for mistakes).

However, consider that AT&T is unlikely to honor the $20/mo price without the revenue from the voice side.

12. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I'm actually surprised to hear that you are hearing impaired and still want an iPhone. There is a HUGE hearing impaired community at my university and they almost exclusively use sidekicks and they almost exclusively use IM and text messaging. Those two areas are the weak points of the current iPhone, text input is not as fast, and there is no IM.

13. mikeymill macrumors newbie

I have t-mobile but want an Iphone!

I have t-mobile and love there service, if I'm about to go over on my minutes i just call them up and they give me a few hundred more for the month FOR FREE!!! i guess it's there answer to rollover provided by ATT!! I love the sound and clarity of there network above all and will never switch, i use all unlocked/unbranded phones (currently a nokia E65 & 8800 sorocco) which is probably why I get such good reception, but i really want to get a PDA with only data and text messaging! i love nokia phones but honestly e-mailing on any t9 input device is nerve-racking and slow.

This is where the original post comes into play, there are many people out there who have a cell phone already and want an iphone, weather or not they have a long contract with any other service provider, currently i carry around an ipod my cell phone and soon a PDA! if i could just carry around a cell phone and an iphone that would be better than my future scenario. i like the iphone for browsing the internet, texting and e-mail i have a .mac account and gmail that i would use together, but i'm not a big fan of the voice clarity of the iphone (i played around with my friends iphone for like 5 hours) there's just something about holding a hugh PDA looking thing to my head compared to my little sorocco or E65, it's almost as annoying as those people who always have a bluetooth headset in there ear, as if there always on the phone! and think there making some sort of technological statement.

but anyway no data only plans for anyone! especially def individuals is truly upsetting!

-Mike

p.s. sorry for the long version hope i didn't upset anyone.

14. foidulus macrumors 6502a

If you have no qualms with unlocking the phone

T-Mobile sells a data only plan for $19.99 a month. There are tutorials online on how to change the iPhone to use the T-Mobile data network instead of the AT&T one, and it seemed pretty easy.

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I understand where you are coming from, but I think it comes down to two things. First, AT&T is a phone company, so of course they are going to want you to have minutes for your phone instead of data only. Second, it comes down to payments to Apple. AT&T has to fork over a nice chunk of change for every iPhone so if they allowed you to only pay $30 a month for data only, they would end up barely making any money. I believe it is a money issue.