iPhone No Data Plan Needed??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kobefan234, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

I had my iPhone stolen and then I found it and I had halted my at&t account until I found it. my cousin talked with a AT&T lady and she said that I could keep the iphone and just use it as a phone and ipod and not have to pay 30/month data plan. I told my cousin that Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future. He says otherwise! Is this true. Maybe because of the bad economy AT&T are saying you don't have to pay $30/month? Is this true?

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Let me ask you one simple question:

Why don't you get on the horn with AT&T and ask them?

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

If the economy is going bad, ATT would want your money, (Duh!). Last time I checked, not possible, expect to receive a heart attacking bill and a text message from ATT. :)

4. kobefan234 thread starter macrumors 6502

kobefan234

My cousin has a passcode on the account so you have to know that in order to talk to them!

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Passcode? You mean the last four of his soc sec?

Anyway as stated on the contract, you have to have a data plan. If you'll search the forums, some posters have posted that they had successfully removed the data plan feature - I just don't know if that's honest or not.

6. itaritein macrumors newbie

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Can your cousin call, or will he give you his pass code? This is the easiest way that you will get a direct answer straight from the source.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, can be done on both the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. This topic comes up very often on this and other forums, maybe we need a "Sticky" on this topic. Here is a link to a thread where I again explained how to do it for the original iPhone. The steps are the same for the iPhone 3G.:)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=665475

Just follow the steps. AT&T is currently more interest in individuals that are using invalid (cheaper) data plans on the iPhone 3G than on individuals that are using NO Data Plan. Just make sure that you have all data blocked so you don't get Pay Per Usage (PPU) fees for any data access after you have the data plan removed.

Dave

9. kobefan234 thread starter macrumors 6502

kobefan234

i went to the att store i just got a data plan cause i need it anyway i tether my MBP to it anyway:D

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Excellent. Now that you have internet access, please go to this website and put it to good use.

11. kobefan234 thread starter macrumors 6502

kobefan234

....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...