iPhone No Longer "Forgets" When Tracks Are Played!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheConfuzed1, Dec 1, 2008.

1. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

One complaint that I have had about my iPhone since I first got it, was that it forgot iPod tracks that were played. This happened particularly after switching from one playlist, to another, and always after a respring/reboot.

I use smart playlists extensively, that rely on "Last Played" and "Playcount" info, so this is a big deal to me.

My playlists refresh themselves continuously, because I always add, "Not Played Within the Last 3 Days." That way, whenever a track is played, it disappears from the playlist, to be replaced by something fresh.

This is great, unless the stupid thing forgets that it already played those tracks.

My fix for this is that I have actually been recreating a playlist of tracks that did not record as being played, and then I'll play that playlist in my iPod. That way, when I sync both my iPod and iPhone, the data will merge, and the smart playlists will update. Yes, I'm that neurotic. Quite frankly, this is a major pain!

This morning, I was about to go through my usual routine, of syncing both my iPod and iPhone, when I realized that nothing was missing!

There were no tracks in any of my listened-to smart playlists that had been played within the last 3 days! I checked my "Recently Played" playlist, and there they all were!

I'm hoping this isn't an isolated incident. This is the first time that I've checked for this since updating to 2.2, and I'm hoping that Apple finally fixed this. I'm fairly sure that this must be the case, since I know that some of those tracks were played before a reboot, and they were still recorded as played, which never has worked for me before!

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I read your entire post and I am still confused. :confused:

3. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay...

This is how it's supposed to work--

Play a track, and the "Last Played" changes to the current date and time, and "Playcount" increases by one.

Sync back to iTunes, and this data is merged.

Until now, it would forget this info, and nothing would merge into iTunes.

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I was having this problem all the time, especially with TV shows, which annoyed the heck out of me because I use Smart Playlists to update shows. Seems to be fixed on 2.2, fingers crossed!

5. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's another reason why this was very annoying--

A coworker recently went through his entire library on his iPhone, and rated each track, just for that information to be forgotten, and lost in cyber hell!

I am crossing my fingers as well. :)

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Damn really? I don't think I've ever had my iPhone forget ratings or play counts or anything like that.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Confused.com

8. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I didn't even realize this problem in the first year and a half of owner an iPhone 2G and 3G, but I'm so glad that its fixed! Haha, really this is an important thing.

9. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have similar smart playlists and they seemed to only update if the items were in the last playlist played. I had this problem with:apple:tv in the beginning, but seeing that is fixed too, hopefully all is right.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Loosing meta data (and it's place in the play list) has been and still is a BIG problem that has plagued the iPhone since day one of the original. Here is a link to a thread I started a few month ago.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Pretty busy thread you got there for this BIG problem ;)

12. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still is? Are you experiencing these problems on 2.2?

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Well if you organized your music by play date as I do then it would be a big problem for you. However if you are happily bliss with incorrect play dates and play counts then it's not a problem. I still see no reason way it should lose this info since it should be saved as a file. My iPhone has never lost any other file info like Note data.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, and it has been a problem since day one that the Original iPhone was released. Thankfully the problem is no where near as bad under 2.2 since it happens most often when you have an App crash.

However I must sync my iphone fairly often to be safe. If I go a couple of weeks without a sync and it loses the meta data I then have to play and FF each song to up it's play count and change it's play date. A real PITA.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hahah ... dude, you should see my music meta data and smart playlists. It's OCD-riffic!

Can't say I've ever had this problem. The only 'problem' I've had is migrated my itunes library from one machine to another, losing my play counts in the process. That was bad enough!

Are you skipping the songs before they finish playing? Even one second too early and it won't count as last played or add a play count.

16. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you truly had OCD, this would be unacceptable. You're just a poser. :D

Just save a copy of your library file. Move that file to your new machine, and all of your data will safely be transferred over.

It's easy enough, if you have the timing down. In either case though, I use my iPod for that. ;)