Iphone no longer shows up in my computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by UnLiMiTeD558, Feb 22, 2010.

1. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors regular

Randomly today, my iphone is not recognised under my computer, it used to show up so i can get pictures off of it. I did no updates to the phone or the computer. It still charges it and works with itunes, but no longer shows up under my computer.

What would suddenly cause this?

2. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

I should add that it works in itunes perfectly and i also tried plugging it in to another pc and same thing happens, charges, but doesnt show up in my computer

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

First, please don't make new posts to add to your post. Edit your first post to add to it.

You might try rebooting your computer to see if that fixes it. There are other ways, but try that first.

4. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

rebooted the pc and the iphone, still nothing. Also ran services.msc and apple mobile device is started, even reseted that. Still nothing.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Ive seen this problem before... it happens every so often with PCs, I never really figure out what caused it, but you just have to close itunes unplug the phone try again and do all different combinations of when to plug the phone in before or after you launch itunes ect... ect... ect...

Reboot first, reboot everything, phone and computer.

6. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

ive been trying different combos, so far nothing, getting frusterating

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

yeah its frustrating as hell, i fell for you. Dont know what else to tell you other than to either wait until later or reinstall itunes...

here are 2 questions:

Go to start and computer, does the phone show up there?

Take a few pics with the phone and plug it in, is windows asking to take to the pics off of it?

8. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

no doesnt show up in computer and no nothing pops up when i take pics

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

Doesnt show up in device manager, atleast not for XP, so that wont work for me

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Since you have an XP, you could try going back to an earlier restore point. That worked for me once.

12. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont use that, its a gaming machine, not much on it but games and anything important are in a seperate backup drive

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try using a different USB port, preferably one connected directly to the mobo (i.e., at the rear of the PC).

14. gouda272 macrumors regular

This happened to me as well. i have a 3G 2 iTouch's and a 3Gs The 3Gs does not appear in my computer to copy off the pictures but the other 3 do. I am wondering if it has to do with the Itunes version. My wife's 3Gs and the 2 iTouch's are running 3.1.3 firmware but my jb 3G is still at 3.1.2 . I did not update to the latest itunes. i am running 9.0.2.25 What itunes version are you running ?

15. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

plugged it in to the back, still wont show up

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does anyone you know have an iPhone? If so, you mught try seeing if theirs is detected. If so, you know it's not your computer. If not, you might need to totally uninstall of iTunes (deleting iTunes, and two other programs I forget the name of....see below to really uninstall iTunes).

See this link and click on the appropriate link inside to completely remove iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38633?viewlocale=en_US

17. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

There is one thing I just thought of.since I got the phone I had not used my digital camera and have not plugged into the pc, but the day I tried pluggin the iPhone in, I had just plugged the digital camera in and the pc picked it up. Could somwthin have happend there for the pc to not recognize the camera part of the iPhone?

18. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:
    I called apple and talked tech support and had me do a few simple things like reset the phone and such and nothing worked. They said well that's all I can think of I don't know what to tell you, and basically said it's my problem now.

WTF is up with this?

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, they're not going to fix an issue with your computer. Did you try anything I said above?

20. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

everything but the restore because i have it disabled, always have. And i dont know if it is a pc issue, since it does this on both my pc's and i went to the rogers store and it didnt pick it up on their computer either

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Can you get to an Apple store? Obviously if it doesn't show up on the Rogers store computer it's something wrong on your iPhone's end. However, Apple is going to ask if you've done a restore, so you might as well, since that's probably the fix from what you've said. Then if it doesn't work, you can get a new one.

BTW, why do you have restore disabled? I restore my iPhone as new ever 2-3 months just to make it fresh. It's fairly easy to sync everything back.

22. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors regular

i thought you were talking about system restore with my pc lol. And one thing i didnt like about restoring the iphone is i dont know which restore point is the newest, it doesnt date them and it backs up the phone each time i plug it in so i never know which is up to date.

23. Cleetus macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same issue with my Iphone and have tried all the recomended but nothing and have tried another Iphone which works perfectly. I am yet to do a restore so this may be the answer.

24. Cleetus macrumors newbie

Resetting and setting up as a new phone worked and I can now see the phone on my PC.

25. yourjakeness macrumors newbie

iPhone Remote Control

The topic of not being able to see your iPhone under My Computer is happening way too much for us to believe that it is a problem with our computers. I have had many, many dealings with AT&T and they along with Mac have remarkable control over your phone. I am not a paranoid person but have talked to many service representatives (hahaha) all the way up to the office of the president. Over the last several months, it has become obvious that they as well as Mac are in strong agreements to maintain tight control over these phones. Which of course, we own, but don't confuse this issue with facts, please.

So, unless some brainy kid with a bunch of creative time on his or her hands wants to take back control of the phones, there shall be rumors galore and we shall continue to have our world delivered ... their way.