iPhone noob questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boynigel, Dec 30, 2013.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i have my first iphone (5C) and noticed in the usage section under storage it says i've got 6GB available, but i've used 7.3GB. what does this mean? i though when you run out of storage, that's it. does this mean my bill is going to be higher or something?

question 2: when i bought the phone the salesman said that whereas i have a wireless network at home that i could use that when i'm in the house so i don't run up my bill. he said that if i went to make a call or use the internet via the iphone, that it would prompt me for my wireless network password. it never did. however, i did set up the phone w/my wireless network password. given that i did this and that i've never been prompted for the password, would i be correct in assuming that the iphone automatically jumps on the wireless home network connection when i use it in my home?

2. wrx09md macrumors member

To answer Q2, just leave your wifi on all the time. When you get in range of any wifi you have set up on the phone it will auto connect. Leaving it on doesn't drain my battery at all that I notice. The more networks you connect to wherever you go will always connect which is nice.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1) the usage you're seeing is local storage on the phone. It takes into account your apps, videos, music, photos, etc. to clear space, just manage your content. If it fills up, it'll just mean you can't download anything else until you delete some stuff. Has nothing to do with your bill.

2) If you sign into your home wifi network, it will automatically connect when you get home. You should see the wifi symbol next to your carrier name I'm the status bar. You have cellular data as part of your phone plan. That is used when you use the internet, etc when on your cellular network. If you're on wifi, anything you do will use your wifi network, not your cellular network, conserving your precious data.

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

regarding the question 1 answer- how can that be when i have no videos saved and only a couple dozen photos? aside from the stock apps that came on the phone i might have added 5 at the most. and again, it already says i went over so wouldn't i have gotten "cut off" when i met the phone's limit? says the phone has 6 GB available, yet somehow i've used 7.3? having trouble wrapping my head around that one

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You've used 7.3. You have 6GB left. I'm assuming you have the 16GB iPhone? Of the 16, about 2.5GB are gone right off the bat from the space taken up by the operating system itself, leaving you without around 13.5 GB to use. . To check what is taking up 7.3 GB of your space, go to Settings, General, Usage. Wait till all of the apps load, there you will see how much space each app is taking. It will also show you how much space is taken by your photos and videos.