iPhone Noob with Jailbreak Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foxracer627, Dec 16, 2008.

1. foxracer627 macrumors newbie

I recently got a 3G 8gig iPhone that has been either unlocked or jailbroken (not sure which). I am currently using it on AT&T and not paying the data plan. It has Cydia and Installer on it and the guy put a piggyback SIM on my SIMl. Does this mean mine is jailbroken or unlocked or both? Also, is there a way to update the firmware to 2.2 without messing anything up (i have 2.0.2 right now btw)?

2. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Ugh! Odds are it's just jailbroken. You got what you paid for, IMO.

Don't update the firmware because you want to keep the old baseband so that you can get the true unlock that will be released New Year's.

3. foxracer627 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks. I only paid $170 for it so i'm happy. Also, I cant get the wifi to work. Even on an unsecured full strength network it says, "Unable to join Network". Any ideas on that?

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Try this:

Go Settings - general - resets - reset network settings - confirm. This will reset the wifi settings and reboot the phone. Will not reset anything else.

5. foxracer627 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. foxracer627 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. nima macrumors member

nima

8. foxracer627 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

10. efice32 macrumors 6502

yeah take a jailbroken iphone to an apple store without restoring it first...great idea! :rolleyes:

While you're at it try running with scissors or jumping in front of a moving train.

11. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

:eek: LOL

12. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

I swear some people here are such jerks.

I'll answer this question for you. It's probably NOT unlocked. The jailbreak team just yesterday figured out how to do it and won't release the patch till after Xmas.

To test the phone, I'd simply connect the phone to iTunes, and perform a full restore. It will wipe it back to the official firmware. If it still doesn't work, then take it back to Apple and let one of the so-called Genius' look at it.

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

While others can't read. You missed some key information in his post.

This should have been your first hint the phone probably IS unlocked.

And if he follows this advice, he can kiss software unlocking goodbye until the dev team figures out how to software unlock the 2.2 baseband.

14. foxracer627 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to those of you who actually answered my questions. It really shows how mature you are compared to the rest of the 'smart' people in this thread.