iPhone not activated as a phone ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quarky, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Quarky macrumors newbie

I've just had a play with the iPod Touch today and loved it, we haven't got the iPhone yet in the Uk but already I can see features on that which should be on the Touch.
    Editing the Calendar and the volume control being the main ones for me.
    For those of you that have purchased the iPhone in the US or Canada, can you buy the iPhone and not activate it as a phone and just use the other functions on it, ie. calendar, iPod, camera etc.

Paul

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

IIRC you have to activate the phone completely to use the other functions. It wont work as an iPod and not a phone, that's what the iPod touch was designed for.

3. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Not correct. You can enable all of the features without having to activate it. It can function as iPod , WiFi , etc etc just without the phone features. Googleing around for a few minutes and you will find out how. Tons of people have done just what you asked. I know one personally so can vouch for the validity of the methods and the ability.

4. Quarky thread starter macrumors newbie

Arcus

Is this method of enabling the other features a hack?

Samh004

I appreciate that this is what the Touch is for but they have removed some of the features that are on the iPhone that I require is I was to buy the touch.

5. dodonutter macrumors regular

I know i'm not Arcus but yeah its a hack basically. If you buy the iPhone then its a fancy paperweight until its activated through iTunes by signing up for a contract. If you want to use everything but the phone then you have to activate it using third party software which is effectively a hack and will mean apple won't cover it under warranty as they only do that after you have given them your phone number which you won't have

6. M!K macrumors regular

M!K

Can you find out how?? I'm in Canada with my new iPhone and I've been looking for 2 days how to use it without activation. And I can't find so now I'm kind of freaking out because I don't wanna have pay that for nothing. And I can't activate it because I don't have enough money (I'm still a student). Please help me. I really need it. Thank U very much!!!

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Honestly if you are not going to activate it then just buy a Touch.