iPhone not an option :( BB 8900 or G1?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Aug 16, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hey!

So when I move to the states, I will obviously need a new phone and living in Japan has made me a rather spoiled phone user.

In the states, plans are very expensive but luckily my dad gets discounts on plans when bought with a small handful of discounted phones. The two best out of those are the BlackBerry 8900 TMOBILE and the G1 TMOBILE.

But both have some flaws that are really irking me.

The blackberry lacks 3G and a touchscreen, which aren't really necessary for me and it has a decent screen and a 3.5mm headphone jack (yay!). However looking at some screenshots of the OS, it appears that when you get past the menu and the media player, everything else is horrible black text on a white background, with no icons, and lists are separated by a simple black line. BLECH! I'm a mac user, i'm picky about interface. And the design of the blackberry looks OK, just a bit business like.

The G1 is bigger, and a little less business like and has a touch screen and 3G and it runs andriod which looks good and is pretty usable (I have used livedroid on my mac). However the phone lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack and a video player! and I use both a lot! And everything is centered around a google account, which I have but I use mobile me. The phone is also more expensive, and obviously I want to save money.

So which do you recommend for a snobby interface loving mac freak who uses their phone for multimedia and messaging, and camera (quality of BB is not as good as G1, but G1 doesn't have flash)?

-Omi

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I had a Curve 8900 for a little while and liked it a lot, but I'd still probably go for a G1 and then hack the latest HTC Android version onto it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think android has the potential to give you a better experience but it may be too early to tell and I'm not sure if G1 can really explore the potential power of android. The BB is a solid product and you cannot go wrong but I think the OS can and will limit the various apps that you may want.

I recommend that when the time comes, head over to a cellphone store and check both out.

Is buying a GSM phone in Japan (and having it unlocked) and using it on Tmobile? You'll get the features you want but I'm not sure if they're compatible.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's an interesting article about the G1 and the prospect of google providing updates (or not as the article states)

engadget

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you're interested in Android, you should wait for the G2. It's a much better phone than the G1, which was a crappy first attempt. The G2 is much faster, and Android is realized much better on that phone (speedier, more responsive, etc).