iPhone not being recognized by Macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBuco12, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MBuco12 macrumors member

I just bought an iPhone 4 and when I plugged it into my Macbook, nothing happened. It does not show up under devices in iTunes or at all on my computer. Any help would be great!

2. gchhour macrumors member

Try restarting your computer, usually that is the problem. If that dosen't work out try holding the sleep and home button at the same time while it is hooked up to the computer. If all else fails try contacting Apple Care. :)

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You might also try a different usb cable. Does the phone charge when using that cable and the wall connector? Does the phone charge when using that cable while plugged in to the Mac? I'm assuming that you have already determined that the usb connector on the Mac is working, and the dock connector on the phone is clean and free of lint and debree.

4. WildGuess macrumors regular

It should show up in System Preferences > Network. It should be there regardless if it's connected or not. Leave that screen up and click on USB tethering in your phone settings.

5. MBuco12 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. I'll have to call Apple Care later. Restarting didn't change anything and the usb cable does charge the iPhone while it is connected to my computer and the wall charger. When I looked in System Preferences > Network, I did not see my iPhone.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds like a bad cable, or a problem with the dock connector. Do you have another cable?

Me either and mine works fine. Tethering wont work anyway, unless you are on Verizon.

7. MBuco12 thread starter macrumors member

Went to the Apple Store and they determined it was in fact the cable, so they gave me a new one. Thanks for everyone's help.