"iPhone Not Charging" (but it is!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rgetter, Oct 10, 2014.

1. rgetter macrumors newbie

My iPhone 6 has a most unusual symptom that I've not seen here. When it's plugged into my Mac through a USB hub of any sort, a message pops up on my desktop saying, "iPhone Not Charging." However, the battery icon on the phone indicates that it is plugged in and charging.

This isn't a big issue for me, but I'd be curious if anybody else has seen this.

Attached Files:

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

probably has something to do with routing the power through the hub. what happens when its plugged directly into the compute? no issue right? id say theres a voltage drop or something through the hub, so the phone thinks it isnt charging, even though it is.

3. yondertwins392 macrumors member

Interesting we have been noticing the same problem with our old iPad and new iPhone 6 pluses using an aftermarket TOCC cable.. It charges but it shoes that error message.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

most usb hubs can't power high current devices. that is why they come out with usb hubs with power adapters. which most of us do not buy.

when you connect an iPhone to a mac, it supplies it with 500ma power plus 500ma extra charging current. when you connect an iPad, the iPad is supplied with 500ma plus 1600 ma extra current. that 1600ma extra current is given to the iPhone 6 as well

you can see this in
    about this mac
    more info
    system report
    USB

it possible when you connect an iPhone to a usb hub it is only getting 500ma of current.

I've had problems with a lot of external 2.5 " hard drives not getting enough current from USB, like on a windows machine, and making click click and beep beep noises until the extra current was applied.

remember, when steve jobs released the original iPad, all the macs were redesigned to be able to charge an iPad.

this is one possible explanation to your issue

it might be charging as along as the display is off

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah. my previous post is the reason. with my iPhone connected to a usb hub, the usb man i got from my coke rewards, my iPhone was shown to be charging. it was receiving 500 ma + 500 ma extra operating current.

but the iPad overloads the mr. usb man, and it can't get anything more then 1000 ma (500+500) and it won't charge. in the future, buy usb hubs with power adapters.

6. kcvpr macrumors newbie

Check the power port on the phone with something like a tooth pick for lint or other debris. I used to have to check my iPhone 5 every couple weeks, or it would stop charging.

7. DingerUK macrumors newbie

I'm getting the same message, guess my mac is too old to charge at the full speed. :(

iPhone:

Product ID: 0x12a8
    Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
    Version: 7.01
    Serial Number: [Removed]
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
    Location ID: 0xfd100000 / 3
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

from what i understand , with only 500ma available the iPhone 5 can only charge with the screen off

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I get this warning using a usb hub on my Mac and non apple sync cable to the wall adapter, but both charge fine, but maybe slower..

10. mzd macrumors 6502a

i got this message as well when i first got my iPhone 6 (never with the iPhone 5). it turns out it was due a USB SD card reader that was plugged in and drawing power (even though no SD card was in the reader). once i unplugged the card reader, the Not Charging alert went away.
    i was able to track it down by going in System Information and looking at the USB chain, clicking on each device and finding the one drawing power above the normal 500mA. the card reader was pulling an extra 50mA. from what i understand, the Mac is only able to provide "extra" USB power to one device at a time. btw, this is on the late 2007 iMac in my sig.

i even called Apple Support and they weren't able to help, though they tried.

11. rgetter thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo! Very nice bit of diagnostics, mzd. That was it. In my case, it was an empty SanDisk CF reader sucking the full 500mA. I never noticed power listings in the USB section before. That's a very useful piece of troubleshooting info.

Many thanks!
    Ric

12. mzd macrumors 6502a