iPhone not charging in Apple Universal Dock - Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ady199, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ady199 macrumors newbie

I've just recently purchased the following:-

Apple Universal Dock
    Apple Component AV Cable

I've purchased these for the purpose of playing Youtube videos and the BBC iPlayer on my TV

I've connected the component cable to my TV, and have connected the USB connector to a USB Power Adaptor (supplied in the box) and then connect this to a power socket in the wall - I've then plugged the other connector into the Universal Dock.

All works fine and I'm able to view the content from my iphone on my TV :)

However the problem I have is that my iphone doesn't seem to be charging :confused:

HELP?????????

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Do you have another USB port to try it in? Have you tried bypassing the dock? Maybe use the cable on your computer to see if it syncs and charges. If that works, then likely your brick is busted, call Apple Care and they should simply replace it for you. If it works without the dock, then the Dock is FUBAR and they should replace that too.

TEG

3. ady199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply - I've just tried the following:-

Tried another USB Power adaptor that I had - Still no joy

Connected the dock directly to my PC using the USB connector - Does not charge or sync!

Connected the Component cable directly to my iphone - still not charging

However the dock seems to be working because I can view Youtube and BBC iPlayer on my TV.

I take it when the iphone is charging through the dock, the battery icon should have a z in the middle of it?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like the USB cable on it is not attached correctly internally. If you use the regular USB Cable (that came with the iPhone) will it charge through the dock.

I would call Apple or return the cable to the place you bought it (along with everything else and get it replaced.

TEG

5. ady199 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just plugged the dock into my PC using the original USB cable I had with the iPhone - again, not charging and does not sync

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Here's what works for me:

Setup: Universal Dock (square IR receiver) connected to powered USB hub which is connected to MBP.

With the MBP awake if the iPhone charges and syncs when placed in the dock. If I disconnected the iPhone in iTunes it still charges. Putting the MBP to sleep (after disconnecting) the iPhone still seems to be charging - taking it out of the dock will wake the MBP.

However, if I dock the iPhone while the MBP is sleeping it is not showing the charging sign inside the battery icon. Dunno whether it is being charged.

I had some initial connection problems when using the phone in its capsule rebel case and the supplied dock adapter but a few drops of contact spray on the dock resolved the issues.