iphone not coming to verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Oct 19, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Welp, despite the rumors, it looks like iphone is not coming to verizon after all. Verizon will be going the android route. Verizon has also started showing a clever ad mocking the poor service of the iphone on at+t network. There is a map for that! :D With so many networks (tmobile, verizon, sprint, etc) using android, the smart phone OS wars are definitely heating up.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

ATT is also reportedly getting an Android phone in 2010. And the Palm Pre models.

So Android, Blackberry and Palm models will be available on all major USA carriers.

My thought is: will an Android be the first LTE phone? Possibly.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

They started this campaign a while ago.

Just started another iDon't Droid Does campaign.

4. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not know at+t was getting android as well. at+t must be spending big $$ to keep iphone exclusive. With so many networks and smart phones using android, it could overtake iphone in terms of popularity in 2 years.

Yeah I saw that yesterday..funny stuff ;)

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

According to 9to5 Mac, Apple has been testing a phone on Verizon's network.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Was that a surprise to people ? Both Verizon and Apple want total control over the iPhone.

7. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon seems to be allowing android phone greater freedom. It will have wifi..rite?

8. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don’t see that happening. at+t will do whatever it takes to keep iphone exclusive. jobs may not like verizon mocking the iphone too.

9. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

This doesn't mean the iPhone is not coming to Verizon.

It is a simple ad.... and nonetheless, it is a simple ad created by Motorola.

Verizon did not create the ad - Verizon creates the ad that shows the 3G map coverage. Apple & Verizon will be, & most assuredly are working on R&D for LTE (4G) network.

If you think this ad means "No Verizon iPhone" - then you probably believe in Santa Claus too. :p

10. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

While it does mock the iPhone ads, it doesn't however put down the iPhone. It only puts down the AT&T network. They could easily advertise a VZ iPhone alongside the Maps ad.

Not that they will. We'll have to see.

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Never say never in business till you see that a contract has been signed.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Lots of Verizon phones have WiFi. They have as many, or more, 3G smartphones with WiFi as other major U.S. carriers.

14. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Ok, you are talking about the 3G map ad, and not the 'droiddoes' ad. I thought this thread was sparked because of Motorola's 'droiddoes' ad - my mistake. But, evermore, I am now really confused by this thread...

So, FearNo1, what makes you start a thread titled 'iPhone not coming to Verizon'? :confused:

15. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't verizon remove the wifi capabilities of bb storm?

16. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

I know I can't access wifi on my Sh*tStorm I use for work (although I admit I've never really gotten deep into researching it) so my guess is that they did disable it.

I welcome the idea of a Verizon iPhone in order to alleviate some pressure off the AT&T networks and possibly create some competition on the data plan price. However, the thought of a Verizon iPhone scares me for the reasons mentioned above, most noteably a bogged down OS running all of Verizon's crappy software.

17. Justin.MTT macrumors newbie

Justin.MTT

Doesn't the contract that Apple signed with AT&T end soon? I wonder where the iPhone will go next..

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Where did it go after the first time it ended? Oh that's right, Back to AT&T!!! I wouldn't hold my breath on it going anywhere. :)

(The original contract was a 2 year exclusive when the original iPhone came out, they resigned again with the release of the 3Gs which is exclusive to AT&T)