iPhone not connecting to wifi, possibly due to old sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iroxtar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. iroxtar macrumors member

Hello all,

quick question. I recently upgraded to a 3GS, handing over my old 3G to my mom. She used to have a razor with what i assume to be an old sim card, since she hasnt changed phones in a very long time.

So i pop her sim into the old 3G, everything works fine except for the wi-fi. I can put my wep key and everything its just when i go to safari, it hangs on the spinning circle thingy and wont connect at all.

Could this be because of her old sim card? We're not planning on getting a data plan for her since I was using it w/out one, just wifi.

And if it is because of her old sim card, how would i go about getting a new one and transferring her account to it? Is it as easy as just buying a new sim in the ATT store and asking them to just transfer her account to that, then at home popping it into the 3G w/successful wifi connection?

Hope I made sense and greatly greatly greatly appreciate any and all comments! thanks!!!

2. Jenkins12 macrumors member

Some possible solutions:

1) Do yo have any other sim cards to try out? I dont think a sim card would mess with wifi, but I could be wrong.

2) Try a simple restart?

3) Try a restore through itunes?

4) Could it be the router? Can your 3GS connect to the router?

3. iroxtar thread starter macrumors member

hi yes,

I have tried the phone with other sim cards (mine) before i had inserted hers and the wifi works just fine. I was previously using the 3G w/out a data plan just using wifi to connect. I have tried numerous restarts along with numerous restores. Im puzzled. So is the sim card being the issue a long shot?